steviewaddy82

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best people you can spar with are the higher grades....because they know what they're doing.

It's the other lower grades you have to be more aware of, and more on your guard.

Because they're the ones who don't know what they're doing, so you may well end up getting kicked in the nuts.

PS.....ALWAYS wear a groin protector. Not just for sparring.....wear it at all times so it becomes a natural thing.

When you bow in, deep long breath in, deep long breath out, shrug and relax your shoulders, smile, and look around them. Your breathing rate and to a lesser extent your shoulder tension are things you can control, and you can use those to pull your adrenaline levels down to something more manageable. Smiling keys to a good mood, which is connected to feelings of control, and you want to know you are in control.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Hi Steve, I started Wado Ryu in August '12. Our club rules are that we arent allowed to start sparring until after first grading.

After my first Kumite session I felt exactly like you, it is a massive learning curve, and I kept wondering if my reactions would improve to the point that it would become instinctive to block. I assume that over time this will become second nature, or at least something that I'll see an improvement on.

Good luck and stick with it. The only real thing you can do to improve sparring is sparring... often!

Wado

Sparring comfort comes with time and training. Take the opportunity to spar with the higher ranks whenever you can. You'll learn lots there.

I'm the same way, I was very nervous at first but don't worry, with time you'll become used to it.

I was sparring today in fact it was fun.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

And safer. Higher ranks generally don't try to take your head off.

Oh yes I do...my goal, however twisted it might be, is to take Greg's head off each and every time we kumite. But hey, he tries to do the very same thing to me...first.

Oh...who's Greg? Greg started about 6 months after I did; he's Kancho [Vice-President] of our Hombu.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!