• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring

steviewaddy82

Hi guys. Ive recently become 7th kyu in wado and started sparring this week. My question is. When i tried it against a 3rd dan i was flinchy and nervous as i am in everyday things. I have hardly and confidence. Will this pass? Or will it continue. Id love to know how to snap out of it. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks it all feels alien at the moment. I just wish i could spar without flinching. How long roughly do you think it will take? It wont be over night but will i notice quickly do u think? Thanks again

We don't do totally free sparring in our Dojo until you are 5th Kyu. The self defense is pretty rough, and the stepping kumite starts straight away.

BTW hows the Weather? We're snowed in here!!!!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Sparring is made up of techniques from your combinations and kata. With experience in all three, you will start to spar naturally. You will judge speed, focus on spacing and timing and able to commit to counter attacks with ease. Don't worry about getting hit, keep punching, your opponent will have to block, and eventually you will get through. Osu!!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

While it may not soothe your nerves in quite the same way, and while it will get easier, I just have to say that I still get flinchy, sometimes. I've been sparring for eighteen years--I can barely remember not being in martial arts--and sometimes, when someone hits really hard, or I know I'm outclassed, or just for no random reason whatsoever, I'll have a lot of trouble not looking away or caving when pressure comes on.

I hope this is some comfort in that while it may not go away entirely, it doesn't mean you'll make a poor martial artist. I've won grand champion in tournaments where I've flinched and shied away in some rounds. I've never been a terribly aggressive person, and you don't have to be, either.

Best of luck to you, and long live martial artists who don't much like hitting people but are good at it, anyway!

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu