• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

QUestion on techniques and stances

I hope somebody can help me, I am in yellow belt and i have a question regarding stances and kicks in Karate.

Are the following kicks possible?

-Maegeri in Kiba Dachi

-Mawashigeri in kiba dachi

-Yoko Geri in back stance

-Ushiro Geri in back stance

-Mawashigeri in back stance using rear leg

Thank you very much in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I hope somebody can help me, I am in yellow belt and i have a question regarding stances and kicks in Karate.

-Maegeri in Kiba Dachi

Well, it is definitely possible to launch those kicks from those stances. I'm guessing these are part of your kihon training for conditioning the legs?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Mawashigeri in back stance using rear leg

That one would not be. You would need to shift your weight. You can start in that position, shift weight, kick, shift back to back stance.

All of these sound like awkward positions designed to build leg muscle. Good luck with them.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

-Maegeri in Kiba Dachi

You can do it, but its not easy and you need to shift your weight for balance, also...try not to stomp to much when landing back in Kiba dachi as its hard on the legs and back!

Wait...what....Thats going to kill your support leg if you dont pivot right and then going back to Kiba dachi after may cause ballance issues and be really hard on your tail when you land.....hard move but not unworthy of a try!

If you go from back stance to kicking "front" in Yoko Kekomi that would be a good work out, but remember that you need to PIVOT the support foot. and a heck fo a core work out getting back...watch your back leg when landing you can blow out your knee if you do it and have bad form and land hard!

What leg is kicking? Both are going to be a challenge but could be very good Kihon for a work out.

The key to any multi directional changes is allways the support leg. If you do not pivot right and under rotate the leg you are going to trash your knee and hip on the suport leg and if you over rotate the support leg your kick will have bad form and could be a waste of time and also completely throw your ballance off!

I always say that their are few drills in Kihon that can not be technically fixed up and I rarely will say that a idea on movement is just bad for you....I do however have big issues with some stretching ideas :kaioken:

You can do just about anything as long as you have good form and train hard...but always be aware of what your support leg is doing!

Even monkeys fall from trees

Not that my opinion counts much on a Karate question, but (from a TKD perspective) I don't see a problem doing any of those kicks from those stances. Some require you to really make sure you pivot the hips and supporting leg but all of those kicks would be possible.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Not that my opinion counts much on a Karate question, but (from a TKD perspective) I don't see a problem doing any of those kicks from those stances. Some require you to really make sure you pivot the hips and supporting leg but all of those kicks would be possible.

Exactly! :karate:

Even monkeys fall from trees

These kicks can be executed from those said stances; I've done them and I still do them as you've posted. Once in a stance, it doesn't mean that you're stuck in that stance for the duration of said kick because shifting and the like will occur so that said kick can be executed from said stance, and in that, the time it takes to shift and the like is quite minimal across the board.

So, keep training and practicing, soon they'll become second nature for you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Most stances have traditional transitional stances for kicks; such as Kosa Dachi for example, Kokutsu Dachi and Kiba Dachi have many options when starting or finishing kicking techniques.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

These kicks can be executed from those said stances; I've done them and I still do them as you've posted. Once in a stance, it doesn't mean that you're stuck in that stance for the duration of said kick because shifting and the like will occur so that said kick can be executed from said stance, and in that, the time it takes to shift and the like is quite minimal across the board.

So, keep training and practicing, soon they'll become second nature for you.

:)

Excellent post. Stances are not fixed positions; they are transition positions. Unlike strikes using your arms, kicks by their very nature force you to break the stance to do them. In that you are not kicking in a kiba dachi, you kicked from a kiba dachi. Whether you return to the same stance or not is a moot point as you are forming a new stance which is separate from the one you kicked from. Of course some stances lend themselves to certain kicks because of foot and hip positioning but theoretically any kick can come from any position. It's a bit different for hand strikes and blocks because you're limited by the positions of your feet but with kicks it's not an issue.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I really want to thank everybody for their reply. One question I have in mind now, DWx mentioned that it is different for hand strikes and blocks...does this mean that I cannot execute all blocks and strikes in all stances? For example, it is not possible to do a punch in back stance ?

Thank you again, this really helps me a lot