• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conditioning your body

chrisw08

Building up muscle first helps. Then using a medicine ball or lighter strikes from a partner is what I do. Learn to tense and breathe out at the moment of impact then gradually build up the intensity. Also learn to roll with the punches too and not to just stand there and take it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was asked to assist in a demonstration of an "Iron Palm" strike by a Kung Fu instructor. He held out his chest and the "expert" hit him. The strike caused a ruptured lung and two broken ribs. He should never have trusted this "Master". The case should have gone to a criminal court but my friend was Loyal to his "Teacher". The insurance policy of the Dojo was not worth the paper it was written on, he eventually lost his long term job because of illness. This illustrates the point; don't always trust the so called "Master", they are sometimes driven by ego and profit.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

A friend of mine was asked to assist in a demonstration of an "Iron Palm" strike by a Kung Fu instructor. He held out his chest and the "expert" hit him. The strike caused a ruptured lung and two broken ribs. He should never have trusted this "Master". The case should have gone to a criminal court but my friend was Loyal to his "Teacher". The insurance policy of the Dojo was not worth the paper it was written on, he eventually lost his long term job because of illness. This illustrates the point; don't always trust the so called "Master", they are sometimes driven by ego and profit.

So true and the other thing is that Ignorance leads to accidents!

So many people talk about things they hear and are taught and never question the "learn'in" tjey get! go and read some anatomy and Physiology books before you start talking about things that you really dont know.

My biggest beef right now is with the WIFE! She starts in on how "man did you see the sodium content on this" and its like 3 milligrams per serving!!! well I tell her that you need about 2000-1500 mg a day and she say "No way am I getting that in me...I would aim for 800 or less......Really???

the other one is "walk it off" I used to hear that all the time when I worked track meets as a trainer...You have no idea how many injuries could be avoided by people "NOT WALKING IT OFF" and Icing the injury and resting for a week! and the Coachs are all like "no they have a meet in a month and they have to train..then they athletes would get hurt and miss the competition......

If someone says to you that they can condition your legs by beating them with a bat...only a moron would stand their and agree! If someone said that rolling a coke bottle on your legs like the Thai guys do to "Deaden the nerves" so you dont feel the pain will condition your body...... :o who is going to think thats a great idea????

Even monkeys fall from trees

Hmm, seems to me the Thai guys win the leg kick battles usually.

Kyokushin and other knockdown karateka are normally on parr with the Leg kick battle.

GSP is Kyokushin trained not Muay Thai Trained (although he has done other styles including being a BJJ black Belt)

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hmm, seems to me the Thai guys win the leg kick battles usually.

Kyokushin and other knockdown karateka are normally on parr with the Leg kick battle.

GSP is Kyokushin trained not Muay Thai Trained (although he has done other styles including being a BJJ black Belt)

Point was, there is something to be said for shin conditioning. Hard to argue with results.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

If someone says to you that they can condition your legs by beating them with a bat...only a moron would stand their and agree! If someone said that rolling a coke bottle on your legs like the Thai guys do to "Deaden the nerves" so you dont feel the pain will condition your body...... :o who is going to think thats a great idea????

Take a look at Wolff's law. Your body responds to consistent stress on bones and joints and will strengthen itself accordingly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have studied Wolff's law in university and it is a theory of bone density response to the load that it is being put under. A bone will, in theory, remodel itself to be stronger at points in response to increased and continuous load that is placed on a bone. Davids law is a similar law that dicates that soft tissue will remodel based on load that is placed on it....and both have their opposing results that state when bone/soft tissue does not have load on it they will weaken or revert to lesser scale of the tissue over time, however bone tissue does not revert as fast as their is no increased metabolic requirements for maintaining bone density over time and bone is used far more frequently as a store house for important minterals and the increase ability of a larger bone structure benefits the body.

Now, haveing said all that....the two laws have NOTHING to do with soft tissue nerve tissue and other tissue damage over time in an attempt to condition areas of the body that should NOT be abused in such a way.

For instance forearm "conditioning" often leads to nerve damage that affects manual dexterity, shin "conditioning" done by impact or hard objects being rolled over the shin often lead to circulatory damage and nerve damage.

Junk science and psudo-medical research has lead to some very dangerous practices...all of which on some level I dont mind...when I used to run a clinic and work with other therapists, before going to work for the insurance company I work for now...they paid my bills to some extent. :karate:

Even monkeys fall from trees

Body conditioning can help if done intelligently. Start light, keep it moderate, and remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Talk to your instructor about it.

Amongst friends, sparring with only body shots and low kicks is a great way to condition the body as well as work on fighting skills.