• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sightless for kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was exactly the same way. My katas weren't the best when I did them in class, I was always so nervous and distracted, hoping no one would notice if I made a mistake and such. Then I participated in my first tournament, which was the biggest one created by my Club, about 400-500 people we're present, I went up alone, and performed a kata. Which was very nicely done in my opinion :D, haha, Anyway, ever since then, I've had no problem performing in front of people, I guess I just kinda snapped out of it, knowing it wasn't as bad as I thought.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

How , as a class, do you perform kata? When similar belt ranks line up for kata (say all black belts) these belts are to follow the lead of the first person in the line up. True, we perform "free practice" but still have to keep, as a unit, the same cadence. Eyes always straight ahead or when turning your head and looking in the direction you are about to move or strike. Always look before you move..

You must focus if you want your techniques to be accurate. Usually, when a person's eyes start to wander, he or she is unsure of the next move. Do not lose your concentration! One momentary look somewhere else (like the person next to you) and you get what I call a "brain fart" ... absolutely no clue of where you're going next or what move you just executed. (It's happened to us all I'm sure many times ... we all have those days when concentration is not there)

Yes, you must speak to your instructor, perhaps perform the kata for him after class.

I, like G95champ, zone out while doing my form/kata. Extreme concentration.. breathing techniques may help.

You need to be confident, don't worry if you screw up, its happened to the best of us. Thank God I almost never screw up, and am proud to say i'm the best in my class in pretty much everything, rivaled only by my brother,lol(funny how that works eh?) Just relax and be confident, space out. Hope i helped

"Live free.

Die well..."

I also Zone out..I think that Zoning out adds an effect to the martial arts that you might not think of...once you get in the zone, whatever happens happens...you get the best workout...you get a more focused mind...and if you zone out at will...you will know what is wrong and right, without thinking...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Definitely getting into a zone is the way to go.

I have discovered, like Ti-Kwon-Leap, that practicing katas in different directions or to the corners really makes me focus on the kata instead of the direction I'm moving in.

Another exercise that my sensei made us do to block out distractions was to have the class line up in a circle with our backs toward the center and do a form. He also changed this by staggering us in diagonals with every other person facing a different way, either backwards or forwards. It was hard at first, but after awhile you learn to concentrate.

If the problem persists, I would talk to your instructor.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.