• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sightless for kata

I've always been great at kata outside of class, but in class with all the other people, I do awful. One day, I tried doing kata at home with a blindfold on, and I did better than ever, and didn't mess up once. I figured out that I get distracted, and can't do kata if I see a lot of outside visuals and activity. When I say distracted, I mean clueless and oblivious to the kata I was doing, not just momentarily confused.

Now, I know what's wrong. My sensei doesn't know this because he's only seen me doing kata in class. I can't wear my blindfold in class, because other people are around, and we're in close quarters, so I may hit someone by accident. My sensei has never seen me do kata without distractions (visual: I can handle noise, and stuff.), so he doesn't know my full potential.

How do I solve this problem? I can't explain it to him. Does anyone else have this problem? i thought I just was awful for a while. Please, please reply asap,

Dee :karate: :-?

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well in class the rule of the road is usually the lower grade is responsible for staying out of the way of a senior student. So if the person you are about to collide with is you junior they should give way.

If the person you are about to collide with is your rank someone is moving incorrectly or you are too close together.

If the person you are about to collide with is a senior student make adjustments. Like maybe taking a step sideways before you begin the kata when the assignments are given.

This is a very important part of the kata. With pratice you will be able to block out distractions, all your energy (mental and physical) should and will be focused on the kata you are doing, you will realize that you are the only person in the dojo and everyone else will become oblivous to you while you are doing your kata. Anyone can simply memorize a bunch of chorographed movements and perform them, that does not take any talent. While doing the kata envision each movement being applied to your enemies as they attack you. This will help give you something pratical and useful to focus on while you do the kata, insted of watching what everyone else is doing. Hope this helps :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

When I do kata I zone out. I don't think of anything. I don't know what to tell you. Its a mental problem more so than a physical one. If I had to guess I would say you are more worried about messing up and who is watching. Like I tell my football team its ok to mess up if your going hard and doing your best. Just relax...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Breath, take it slow, and focus on the kata you are performing. Focus your vision on a point in front of you, where your "imaginary opponent" is, not on the surroundings. If you wear glasses, maybe you could remove them to simulate the "blindfold effect"...

If you get distracted, refocus, breath, and continue.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

If you can, practice doing your kata facing different directions, including starting out facing a corner instead of a wall.

What really locks a kata into my head is to do it from start to finish in my mind especially when I am busy doing other things.

When my mind is free I will go to the next move and then hold that move in my mind till the next free moment and so on.

Once you master this you will probably never forget a kata ever again! :wink:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Hi!

All the advices here are Great, but... Why can't you talk with your sensei about your problem? you come here instead of talking with him.

A good sensei answer questions and help students with there problems.

My feeling is that you should talk with your sensei. He definitive knows you better than any of us. He may know how to help you. Give him a try. :) :)

Is the class moving too quickly for you? I'm not saying that you're slow...there are plenty of times that I've been doing a kata at a good, healthy pace, but the Speedy Gonzaleses start goin "Eeba! Eeba!" and are already done!! :lol: When this happens to the point where it messes me up, I just shout "slow down!". This may not be an option for you if you come from a strict dojo, but if you can get away with it, do it! You might want to stick a "please" in there somewhere, though. ;)

To be perfectly honest, this is far more frequent in the kids' classes (although I have seen one or two adults). Speak with your instructor and let him know that you're having this problem. He may give you a funny look like you're ADD or something, but that's OK. Do a kata for him after class without anyone around, to show him how good you are. Once he realizes your problem, things will be easier. He may even give you some advice or work something out.

From there, it's your responsibility to focus very hard on your kata. Think only of what YOU'RE doing. It will take time, but it should come. So your instructor may not be able to help you, but at least he'll understand that you're not just a hopeless, untalented student (which some instructors believe exist).

One more focus tip: Try looking at the floor while you do your kata. It's a bad habit to keep up, but it will at least keep you from looking at everyone else.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Ti-Kwon-Leap worte:

"If you can, practice doing your kata facing different directions, including starting out facing a corner instead of a wall.

What really locks a kata into my head is to do it from start to finish in my mind especially when I am busy doing other things."

Yes, this is really good advice. The first time I did my form in another direction, I was totally lost, but we did it so often that it doesn't matter what direction I start at :)

Dee, may I suggest that you try doing your form with your eyes closed? My TSD instructor used to MAKE us do this. It was great. After the first time he made us close our eyes during forms, I did it ever since. Well, I learn the form first, then work on technique, ect. And make sure I don't kick someone doing Taeguk sam jang LOL.

I hope this helps. Ok, I just woke up, so I hope I made sence also LOL

P.S. Like a few said here, talk with your instructor also :D

Laurie F

Also one of the benefits that many get from their martial arts training is an increased abitlity to focus on what they are doing. With the kids this really shows up at school. And overcoming what you are talking about is how this abiltiy grows.

Focus on your kata and your kata only. Block out what you see and hear around you. Yes this is difficult to many. But you will find that when you start being able to maintain your focus in the dojo you will have carry over other places as well.