• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question About What Style Should I Choose.

Rockford Tyson

Hey, guys!! I am a martial artist. I have two black belts, one in Taekwondo and another in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I am in my early thirties and have been practicing martial arts since I was a kid.

Recently, I have decided to study karate, as I don't intend to pursue Dan rankings in Taekwondo, and I find Karate one of the biggest and most beautiful martial arts with a great tradition.

I want to study a style that fits certain characteristics, and I have been unable to find much information around me or on the web. Can any of you guys elucidate to me the differences between styles, both betwen Okinawan and Japanese, as well the differences between them all as far as stances, footwork, if they have a blocking or evasive philosophy of defending against the opponents attacks, what styles are aggressive or instead counter-striking, if they emphasize ranged attacks or in the pocket strikes, etcetera.

I am looking for a style with the following characteristics:

- Okinawan rather than Japanese, as I prefer the traditional arts always.

- Full-contact sparring and effective techniques for real combat. That is, I want a style that allows me to kick butt if needed, and not one that only has beautiful choreographies.

- Not Kyokushin! It strikes me as being more similar to Muay Thai than karate, and I don't like that.

- Needs to have wicked kicks, as I am looking to increase my kicking repertoire.

-Emphasizes ranged attacks or close ones, as striking in the mid-ranged is one of the most stupid things you can do - speaking from personal experience here.

- I don't mind it having some traditional techniques that are not suitable for today's combat.

Does any style fit the bill? I was reading about Shorinji-Ryu and it stried me as being what I am looking for, but Shorinji-Ryu is not a pure Okinawan style.

I am really sorry guys, I don't know much karate besides the very basic Shotokan that we all took as kids for a couple months before quitting. If you find my questions too noobie, then ignore them. If you wish to help by answering these questions, I greatly appreciate. :)

Nick Diaz!!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a ton of good systems. I wouldn't limit myself to Okinawan systems because of tradition. Japanese karate is just as rich with tradition as any Okinawan. Shorinji-Ryu, a variation of Shorin-Ryu (I did Matsumura Seito) or Goju-Ryu might fit your bill pretty nicely. I know you don't like it but Kyokushin would fit your bill just as well. I don't think more kicks will help you with TKD and there are no Okinawan systems with more kicks than TKD that I know of. Mid-range strikes have great use, thought I should just throw than in there as a general thought. Just practice their applications more. All systems have a plethora of mid-range techniques that you should embrace just as much as close and long-ranged attacks.

I would suggest, however, looking into Longfist or Shaolin Kung Fu. You have two harder styles under your belt(s) why not add a softer style?

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Any of the Okinawan styles SHOULD practice full contact sparring.

Kyokushin is not like Muay Thai, there's a more to it, it's like saying all TaeKwonDo is like it is on the Olympics.

as you got BJJ I would actually recommend, Ashihara, Enshin or Daido Juku, as you can put your already achieved skills into the mix.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

That's the 10 Million Dollar question, isn't it!?!. After you've done your research and you've visited your share of schools, I hope that the one you do finally decide on will fit you like a glove and that you'll have a blast training.

You've received some pretty good answer thus far.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Okinawan Karate has two roots; Shuri-Te and Naha-Te.

Most World Masters trained in all Branches.

Shuri-Te - Shorin Ryu - Shotokan - Kaiokoshin Kai

Naha-Te - Goju Ryu

Naha-Te - Shito Ryu - Shukokai

If you want authentic, train closer to the root with a real pedigree succession from the Grandmaster.

It depends a lot on your teacher; as Mr Miagi says "No such thing as bad student"

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I'm a Shotokan guy for many years, but I've also trained in TSD and judo. So, my experience with Okinawan systems is slight, but I've had good friends in Okinawan karate. Given your criteria I'd look at Okinawa Kempo as a full-contact, traditional Okinawan style. I've seen their kata and kumite and have always wanted to try it. You might also have good luck with Isshin-ryu and Uechi-ryu schools although some Uechi-ryu I've seen has been "lighter" than others. Good luck.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Goju-Ryu, particularly any branch that practices iri kumi, will give you the in-close fighting and hard contact that you want, but you will also get a strong tradition and history, powerful technique and effective self defense applications for your forms. Traditional Okinawan karate really only has low-level kicks, and those are largely limited to stomps, toe-kicks, front kicks, side kicks and heel kicks, so you aren't likely to get much new kicking material after already receiving a black belt in Taekwondo. That said, a lot of traditional Okinawan styles have been "modernized" a bit so that they include more kicks (still nothing you wouldn't have already picked up in Taekwondo, though) and some of that modernization has also led to the exclusive use of non-contact point sparring. You will really just have to look around your area, see what is available, watch a class, try a class and research it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Perhaps you might want to see what schools and teachers are available to you first? The great advice so far won't mean much if you haven't got that style available to you.

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm a Shotokan guy for many years, but I've also trained in TSD and judo. So, my experience with Okinawan systems is slight, but I've had good friends in Okinawan karate. Given your criteria I'd look at Okinawa Kempo as a full-contact, traditional Okinawan style. I've seen their kata and kumite and have always wanted to try it. You might also have good luck with Isshin-ryu and Uechi-ryu schools although some Uechi-ryu I've seen has been "lighter" than others. Good luck.

Thank you for this answer. Very useful!

I was really interested in Isshin-Ryu as it seemed to fit my criteria of being a traditional Okinawan and mostly hard style, but I was disppointed when I realized that it's ranged striking repertoire is pretty limited.

Okinawan Kempo, huh? I though Kempo was a Chinese martial art and that Kenpo with an "n" was an American style of no-contact karate. I had no idea there was an Okinawan Kempo.

I will do my research on it.

Nick Diaz!!!!!!

Goju-Ryu, particularly any branch that practices iri kumi, will give you the in-close fighting and hard contact that you want, but you will also get a strong tradition and history, powerful technique and effective self defense applications for your forms. Traditional Okinawan karate really only has low-level kicks, and those are largely limited to stomps, toe-kicks, front kicks, side kicks and heel kicks, so you aren't likely to get much new kicking material after already receiving a black belt in Taekwondo. That said, a lot of traditional Okinawan styles have been "modernized" a bit so that they include more kicks (still nothing you wouldn't have already picked up in Taekwondo, though) and some of that modernization has also led to the exclusive use of non-contact point sparring. You will really just have to look around your area, see what is available, watch a class, try a class and research it.

Thank you!!! Yes, Goju-Ryu is awesome. It is the most realistic style besides Kyokushin-shinkai, but the fundamental problem with Goju is that it's blocks are not very practical for the in-the-pocket style of striking it advocates, and it's ranged striking is seriously limited.

I need a style that "suffocates" my oponent in the pocket, but also has great ranged striking and a more evasive counter-striking style rather than an aggressive striking style that emphasizes going for the kill in mid-range and using powerful blocks as defense, with a heavy emphasis on physicality to absorb the blows.

I have fought in amateur MMA, and I can tell you from personal experience that staying in mid range is the most stupid thing you can do in a fight, as you are basically putting yourself in position for your oponent to knock you out. I have done Muay Thai for MMA, and I don't like the emphasis on mid range fighting and blocking your opponents strikes rather than evading them, as it demands sheer physicality. Kyokushin is also like that. In defense of Muay Thai, it also puts emphasis on clinching, which is awesome. I don't like brawling styles like Muay Thai and Kyokushin. I like to smother my opponent in the pocket with a flurry of strikes or wearing/KOing them with ranged strikes. I am looking for a style that has these characteristics.

Nick Diaz!!!!!!