• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self-training at dojo

blacknebula

What sort of things do you do? Obviously praticing kata would be a good one, but I'm looking for some other ideas. It is kangeiko week starting Monday, which means in addition to the formal training in the morning and evenings the dojo is also open at lunch for self-training. I like the idea, but have never done this before and I'm not sure how to keep myself occupied the entire time!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What sort of things do you do? Obviously praticing kata would be a good one, but I'm looking for some other ideas. It is kangeiko week starting Monday, which means in addition to the formal training in the morning and evenings the dojo is also open at lunch for self-training. I like the idea, but have never done this before and I'm not sure how to keep myself occupied the entire time!

I typically practice my kata, go through kata application if I have a partner, and do bagwork and makiwara training. I also like to throw a heavybag on the ground to work ground strikes and transitions, and I will usually do some extra conditioning exercises like pushups, crunches, dips, pull-ups, lunges, medicine ball slams, wrist rollers, etc.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't allow my students to practice anything that's above their grade. If I see, for example, a 9th kyu practicing technique taught at 3rd kyu, I'll remind them that it would be best served if they would wait until they've been properly taught.

On my own: bag work, makiwara, kata, and Hojo undō.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We sort of had that for the adult class the other night since our head instructor was sick and none of the other instructors are able to go to the Thursday adult class. Everyone just sort of did their own thing. The nidan practiced his sai kata, the other brown belt and his junior black belt son worked on their bo kata, I took advantage of the mats to work on my breakfalls since that's something that's hard to work on at home, then I moved over to work on some empty hand kata and a few people tried a few applications. It was basically just hodge podge whatever you feel like. I liked it, though. Sometimes it's good to just be able to have the time, space, and equipment to work through things on your own. Gives you time to process better. I generally try to stick with things that are hard to work on at home-- things that need the mats or weapons or a partner.

And like sensei8 said, don't try to learn anything above your level or have anyone who's not an instructor teach you anything-- classes are for learning new things, this time is for working those things and, if you ask me, that's even more important.

I'd take the opportunity to train stuff that you can't train at home due to lack or equipment/space/training partner. If you have mats at the dojo, things like breakfalls and throws with a partner. Or extra pad and bag work and sparring.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well my problem solved itself. Sensei has been making us do katas in reverse during morning training, so I've been spending most of the time trying to wrap my head around the one he did that morning and work on figuring out the one for the following day!