• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NASKA tournaments

skullsplitter

Does anyone here have any experience with NASKA tournaments? My son will be competing in one over the summer. It's his first national type toruney. He's not a NASKA member so he'll be in the non-NASKA divisions for jr blackbelt traditional weapons and forms. He and I are wondering how large these non-NASKA divisions normally are. I've heard that the NASKA divisons get pretty big, but I've not found much info on the non-NASKA ones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Does anyone here have any experience with NASKA tournaments? My son will be competing in one over the summer. It's his first national type toruney. He's not a NASKA member so he'll be in the non-NASKA divisions for jr blackbelt traditional weapons and forms. He and I are wondering how large these non-NASKA divisions normally are. I've heard that the NASKA divisons get pretty big, but I've not found much info on the non-NASKA ones.

pretty big. he will be judged harshly as there is seeding in NASKA for forms and kids with team names on their back usually get better scores.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the sponsored kids and teams would stick to the NASKA divisions and leave us newbies to the non-NASKA divisions. I was also hoping the judges stick to the published NASKA rules for the traditional diviosions. See below. Regardless, it should be a great chance for to stretch his comfort zone a little.

From NASKA:

 Traditional Forms and Weapons – These forms must capture the essence of classic martial arts

movements, displaying the traditional techniques, stances, footwork, and weapons. Emphasis is

placed on execution of technique, application of technique, balance, speed, power, solid stances, and

focus. Forms may be unmodified or modified from what a system or school considers to be the original

version of the form; however, performance of the following movements will result in a downgrade of

the form, or upon unanimous vote of the judges, a “no score” as a form inappropriate for the division:

more than two kicks with the same leg without putting the foot down in between; front or back flips;

cartwheels; front or side leg splits; releases of the weapon other than simple hand switches; or any

other gymnastic movements or extreme exhibitions of flexibility or agility with the body or weapon

that are deemed in the opinion of the judges to be inappropriate for the division pursuant to the

general guidelines set forth here.

Commentary: There has been a great deal of debate among reputable martial artists regarding whether a form or series of moves are

outside of the bounds of the Traditional Division. Because NASKA is a tournament circuit open to all styles and schools (across the nation and around the world) and from which judges are utilized, each competitor must make his or her own decision regarding whether to include movements, which might be to be objectionable for the Traditional Division.

Personally, I don't see a point in the non NASKA divisions. You pay the same money, and you don't get points like NASKA. So when you do start in regular NASKA divisions, you have to start from the bottom seeding wise. I don't agree wth NASKA forms rules at all, or they're forms rules in general a way.