• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it's not an axe kick anymore!
Sure it is. A round kick doesn't lose its round kick-ness just because you hit with the instep and not the ball of the foot.

It is possible to bring an axe kick up, and then drop it down without pulling it down, therefore decreasing the amount of damage it can do.

I'm sorry, I've heard of shin kicks, knee strikes and of course many surfaces of the foot used for kicking, but never the calf. It's a non-kick in my book.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

For the sake of safety, it's still a kick, imho. I've seen and have done the axe kick with my calf on purpose. Both of the calf and the heel are towards the back of the kicking leg. It's easy to use the calf for safety and it's easy to use the heel for it's attention getting possibilities.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

With respect Harkon72, brickshooter's right, we use the axe kick in TKD all the time and are taught to control the kick right from the beginning so it's fairly safe. Reducing the speed lessens the power but we're also (at least in my dojang) taught to control the drop and be able to stop it if needs be. Comes with building up leg strength and being able to read where your opponent will be before you start to drive your leg down.

Although I do use the calf too, my preferred safer version of an axe kick is with the flat of the foot and I just control the drop resulting in more of a slap than full blown kick. Safe enough and I've never injured anyone with it. I've experienced and seen far more injuries resulting from punches or simple rondhouses/sidekicks than axe kicks.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've seen axe kicks landed with the sole of the foot as a safer option, but never the calf. I'm a bit surprised that's all. But then again, Korean styles are something I've never seen, TKD TSD and Hapkido are almost unrepresented in Wales.

Well the calf is a softer striking area however I don't like using it because I think it's easier for it to get caught.

Whereabouts in Wales are you? TKD is very strong in Wales but most of the TKD schools are located in the south along the M4.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

This could be it, I'm located in the North; most of the style here is Japanese, some Kung Fu and wushu and Kickboxing. Shukokai Karate has a strong following, Bangor has one of the best Shotokan clubs in the country, the Wing Chun group is a strong one too. There might be a club in the East, but overall the North is Korean free. I would like to see some TSD especially.