• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan techniques taught that aren't allowed in kumite

bakatenshidna

Yes, some techniques like the axe kick should be removed because they are SO dangerous that they can not be controlled, but ridge hands and even spear hands.....if you can not throw a controlled ridge hand then you should not be doing Karate at all!

I can agree, but I think some techniques are better reserved for higher ranks to use. I wouldn't allow for a 8th kyu to use a ridge hand but a 3rd kyu I would allow under the conditions that they are using the technique with sufficient control so as not to take their partner's head off.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, some techniques like the axe kick should be removed because they are SO dangerous that they can not be controlled, but ridge hands and even spear hands.....if you can not throw a controlled ridge hand then you should not be doing Karate at all!

I can agree, but I think some techniques are better reserved for higher ranks to use. I wouldn't allow for a 8th kyu to use a ridge hand but a 3rd kyu I would allow under the conditions that they are using the technique with sufficient control so as not to take their partner's head off.

I totally Agree. At Black belt level however one should know what techniques they can do with control and which they can not and act accordingly.

Even monkeys fall from trees

Control is paramount, but knowing how to avoid/block/etc, whenever possible, is also equally paramount, no matter the venue, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I guarantee you that both the axe kick and ridge hands are controllable techniques. The knockouts aren't as accidental as you think.

I guarantee you that both the axe kick and ridge hands are controllable techniques. The knockouts aren't as accidental as you think.

I agree with you on the ridge hand, never said it was not controllable, however I disagree with you on the axe kick. You bring your leg up as high as you can and drop it...well you can pick your target but that kick is going to land and it is not going to be friendly. Show me how you are going to stop it a half inch or abouts from the target to show control...you are going to hit someone....and if your target is the shoulder but you nail the back of the head on a bent over partner...well it aint going to be nice.

I totally Agree with this after a bit of thought. Fighters choose these techniques because they are so devastating, and at time choose their lack of control. I have seen the look in a fighter's eye when he lands a stopper, it's triumph not respect..

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I agree with you on the ridge hand, never said it was not controllable, however I disagree with you on the axe kick. You bring your leg up as high as you can and drop it...well you can pick your target but that kick is going to land and it is not going to be friendly. Show me how you are going to stop it a half inch or abouts from the target to show control...you are going to hit someone....and if your target is the shoulder but you nail the back of the head on a bent over partner...well it aint going to be nice.

I suggest that you either talk to or train with the TKD people where the axe kick is a staple technique. They land axe kicks on each other all the time in a friendly way without hurting each other. How? They don't drive their hips into their kicks when they don't want to hurt someone and hey make contact with the area between their calf and heel, rather than their heel.

There is still some contact, but to those on the receiving end it feels like a slap. Sometimes the make contact then drive their hips in and push you to the ground just to make a point. But it's an intentional push intended to not harm you.

Control for snapping techniques such as front and round kicks is "pulling" your technique so that there is often no contact. Control for power techniques like side kicks, back kicks and axe kicks is "pushing" a target after making soft contact. At least that's how it's done in my neck of the woods.

I suggest that you either talk to or train with the TKD people where the axe kick is a staple technique. They land axe kicks on each other all the time in a friendly way without hurting each other. How? They don't drive their hips into their kicks when they don't want to hurt someone and hey make contact with the area between their calf and heel, rather than their heel.

There is still some contact, but to those on the receiving end it feels like a slap. Sometimes the make contact then drive their hips in and push you to the ground just to make a point. But it's an intentional push intended to not harm you.

Solid post brickshooter!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Control for snapping techniques such as front and round kicks is "pulling" your technique so that there is often no contact. Control for power techniques like side kicks, back kicks and axe kicks is "pushing" a target after making soft contact. At least that's how it's done in my neck of the woods.

ah, so they change the striking surface, which is the biggest change for power I can see, in place of the thick and hard heel bone you hit with the softer calf...this I can see!