• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan techniques taught that aren't allowed in kumite

bakatenshidna

I've been doing martial arts for about 7 years, the last year being my training in shotokan karate and I've learned many techniques over my studies that are effective but somehow not allowed in kumite. Some are understandable because they are not of the style being taught but others for example; palm strikes, ridge hands, shutos, and koken are not only not allow but can warrant a disqualification. This troubles me because I feel this is not only unfair but restrictive as well. There is also a gray area about sweeps and throws that I feel will forever go unanswered and any attempt to try using them could lead to scoldings from my sensei. If anyone can shed some light on this or has any personal experience in this matter it'd be helpful. thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have banned techniques too such as axe kicks and spinning elbows. They are so for a reason, they are difficult to control and very damaging.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

We have banned techniques too such as axe kicks and spinning elbows. They are so for a reason, they are difficult to control and very damaging.
This was the case with me as well. Maybe your Sensei feels the same? A lot of techniques I learned that involved shutos, ridge hands and palm strikes involved either knocking someone out or breaking a bone so it's understandable that your Sensei would restrict these. Remember that sparring, while being a great way to practice certain techniques and understanding what it's like to hit and be hit (and it's a lot of fun!) but it does not reflect how a fight works in the street. Usually, if we are jumped the confrontation lasts less than a minute, this is why we do one steps.

Talk to your Sensei, he will be able to answer these questions more effectively.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Funny things banned techniques! Techniques are banned in the dojo for a number of reasons, sometimes they are not in the spirit of the style but mainly, its for welfare purposes!

At the end of the day, we all have to go to work, school etc the next day and being KOd by a dodgy, difficult to control technique that is quite often developed to cause serious damage, can have dire consequences/

However, in a self defence situation, particularly one that is life threatening, noone is going to criticise you. Self defence is self defence!

Why not just spar it with control? If you can't do it something against resistance, you can't do it to someone who wants you to stop using their oxygen.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Thats funny, any time my sensei gets out of position during sparring you better believe he will be recovering with a vicious spinning back elbow.

As far as banned techniques, the only thing i really have a problem with is sparring without control. I can trust my sparring partners to throw axe kicks, elbows, groin kicks, stomp kicks to the leg etc. because i know they are not trying to cripple me with them.

I can trust my sparring partners to throw . . . groin kicks

I don't think I have that level of trust with anyone.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I see Zaine's point, I can concur that any human can slip up and catch you. Walking into an axe kick at full tilt would put you in an ambulance.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It's probably due to a number of reasons. More often than not it's to minimize injuries in training. With some of the techniques you described it's easy to injure the attacker and or the defender so during normal free-sparring you're probably not allowed to do them. But usually people will run sessions where they either get extra safety equipment to wear or reduce down the intensity and speed so these techniques can be practiced safely. It might not be the instructor's choice to limit sparring in this way, can be the conditions of an insurance policy they have.

Or the other reason is if you're fighting to tournament or competition rules. A lot of tournaments won't allow these techniques (for safety reasons again) and if you intend to compete in them you have to learn to play by the rules first.

And of course, depending on your grade, you may not be allowed to use these techniques in free sparring as they require more skill and control by both of the sparrers.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius