• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are both Shotokan and Kyokushin popular?

Nabil Kazama

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sosai Mas Oyama was an 8th dan in Goju Ryu and a 2nd dan in Shotokan, if I recall correctly.

OSU, yes I've read that too! OSU

I would love to know his reasoning behind his choice of Kata for his syllabus

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question for someone whos trained in both shotokan and kyokushin... I'm brand new to karate, but not new to martial arts/combat sports...

Other then the fact the kyokushin fighters train and fight for full contact, and shotokan stylist don't, what are the other diffrences in style? This is something, through all the research on the internet, have not been given an answer to.

Like will I learn the same punches, kicks, blocks, techniques in both shotokan and kyokushin, but just change how they're trained and applied in sparring between each style?

or are they as diffrent as night and day?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I have a quick question for someone whos trained in both shotokan and kyokushin... I'm brand new to karate, but not new to martial arts/combat sports...

Other then the fact the kyokushin fighters train and fight for full contact, and shotokan stylist don't, what are the other diffrences in style? This is something, through all the research on the internet, have not been given an answer to.

Like will I learn the same punches, kicks, blocks, techniques in both shotokan and kyokushin, but just change how they're trained and applied in sparring between each style?

or are they as diffrent as night and day?

You'll learn the same punch kicks and blocks. And similar kata as well. In these days of free information exchange, instructors tend to bring in what ever techniques they think will benefit their students the most.

The biggest difference IMO is that Kyokushin do require their students to be some what athletic. And some schools tend to drop you into the water and expect you to swim. Shotokan went away from that practice decades ago, and will hold your hands more.

I like both for different reasons

The thing I don't like about both styles is the lack if Bunkai or Oyo of the Kata. It seems that both Shotokan AND Kyokushin only practice Kata to pass gradings.

But Ashihara and Enshin DO practice Bunkai so much in their kata which were created by their founders

Bunkai was and is an important part of our kata practice and whole structure of class was around the particular kata we happen to be praticing ,section by section we went thorough a kata in maybe 6 to 8 weeks .

start of our class would doing the techniques relative to that kata and particular part of that kata ,after that we move into working those bunkais with a partner after a indepth demonstration and explanation by the instructer .

If you didn't experience seeing bunkai practiced in that particular shotokan dojo then question the authencity of that dojo and not shotokan

never give up !

I dunno. I'm not going to finger any particular organizations, but some of the biggest and most reputable Shotokan organizations aren't really into Bunkai. When I walk off I get he impression that technical perfection and how it transferred into kumite was by far the most important thing.

For reliable Bunkai, I think that one has to look to Goju or its equivalent.