• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting karate. A few concerns. Advice much appreciated

Jeden245

Just wanted to add that I really want to learn the values and principles that Karate teaches as well as the combat side of things and that is a pretty big thing for me wanting to find the correct style and dojo. I suppose I won't know if they play a big part in this dojos teaching until I've been there a while.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my main concerns regarding my size is looking like a total idiot more than the worry of being able to actually do the training correctly as I'm not a grossly fat 300 pounder if that makes sense lol.

We all look foolish when we start regardless of size or age. It's part of the experience and everybody in that dojo knows it.

HAHA this 100%, its a rite of passage I'm afraid but it passes quickly afer you get hang of the basics and adults generally tend to quite quickly!

Don't let it put you off! I started again after 20 years in my late 30s so I feel your pain! :D

OSU

Just wanted to add that I really want to learn the values and principles that Karate teaches as well as the combat side of things and that is a pretty big thing for me wanting to find the correct style and dojo. I suppose I won't know if they play a big part in this dojos teaching until I've been there a while.

Understanding the values and principles will come as you train...at the beginning, simply concentrate on learning what you are being taught.

Remember true karate molds around you not you around the karate.

For you I would recommend Shotokan, Kyokushin, Tang Soo Do, Goju Ryu or even Wado Ryu and Kenpo, as these would be more fitting to you personally.

Now I know what part of the world you're from, please Check local sports centres and Church halls ad some clubs don't always have websites or adverts, usually done by word of mouth.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Is there any reason you recommend these styles for me over shukokai?

I have researched heavily and the choices are pretty slim for my area regarding different styles.

In the end all the advice that is given, it's your choice in the end.

Shukokai is an excellent style, I've trained with a few people who practice it, taught people in my dojo who had blackbelt in it, but they all seem to be no more than about 15 stone. And it's quite an athletic style. YOU said you have an issue with size etc, hence my recommendations to you.

In Shukokai you have 42 (forms) Kata to learn plus all the combinations etc. In Shotokan T's 26 plus the combinations and the other styles have around 15 to 20 forms etc.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thanks for the advice mate. Much appreciated indeed.

What's the competitive karate scene like in the uk?

I practice Knockdown "Kyokushin" style fighting, so it's a different ball game. I tend to stick to interclub events for my students with Full Contact Clubs or Muay Thai camps

Regarding the type of fighting done by Shotokan etc I'm sure some of the other members will assist.

Good luck on your choice.

Another thing j would recommend is see if you can get free classes at the respective styles BUT don't make you decisions till you've tried all avenues

maybe u can refer here what type of karate u want to learn ... find the art that suit u

The term "karate" refers to an empty-hand striking system that can trace its roots back to Okinawa.

Shotokan is known for deep stances and linear, lunging movements.

Kyokushin is known for its full-contact sparring, which allows full-powered punches to the body and pull-powered kicks to the legs, body and head.

Wado-Ryu is known for combining some jujitsu locks and throws with the stances and strikes of karate.

Goju-Ryu is known for close-ranged fighting that includes grasping motions.

Isshin-Ryu is known for short, snappy punches and kicks, punching with the thumb-up (vertical) fist position instead of the palm-down (horizontal) fist position, and blocking with the meaty part of the arm, instead of the bone, like most other systems.

Shito-Ryu is known for its wide syllabus of kata, or empty-handed, dance-like forms.

Uechi-Ryu is similar to Goju-Ryu, but uses more spearing strikes with the fingertips or extended knuckles.

Shorin-Ryu is similar to Shotokan, except that it's more upright and uses more "natural" stances.

maybe u can refer here what type of karate u want to learn ... find the art that suit u

The term "karate" refers to an empty-hand striking system that can trace its roots back to Okinawa.

Shotokan is known for deep stances and linear, lunging movements.

Kyokushin is known for its full-contact sparring, which allows full-powered punches to the body and pull-powered kicks to the legs, body and head.

Wado-Ryu is known for combining some jujitsu locks and throws with the stances and strikes of karate.

Goju-Ryu is known for close-ranged fighting that includes grasping motions.

Isshin-Ryu is known for short, snappy punches and kicks, punching with the thumb-up (vertical) fist position instead of the palm-down (horizontal) fist position, and blocking with the meaty part of the arm, instead of the bone, like most other systems.

Shito-Ryu is known for its wide syllabus of kata, or empty-handed, dance-like forms.

Uechi-Ryu is similar to Goju-Ryu, but uses more spearing strikes with the fingertips or extended knuckles.

Shorin-Ryu is similar to Shotokan, except that it's more upright and uses more "natural" stances.

This is brilliant, If we had a "Rep" button you'd be repped (Reputation)