• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stopping at 1st Kyu

The error is in thinking that the rank corresponds to a specific level of expertise.

I think the error is that it doesn't anymore.

Well, I don't know how strict the gradings used to be, but things definitely have gone downhill in terms of quality control, for sure.

I think there is some truth to this.

This is a tough question to consider. The journey is your own, so it should be up to you if you decide to test or not. I've been a 3rd dan long enough now that several others in the school have caught up with me, and in a way it makes me feel as though I should have tested a while back, as I've been eligible for some time.

As an instructor, I would approach this carefully. I would discuss the reasons why the student doesn't want to test. As a student's skills increase, I think it important they wear the rank that they are suited to, especially if they choose to compete.

Then there is the thought of curriculum. If they don't test further, does the curriculum require to withhold teaching certain things? Or attending certain classes? Are they trying to avoid black belt responsibilities? So many thoughts that could go into this.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for me its up to the Person Who is Taking Martial if they wanna stop at 1st kyu but i wouldn't recommended whats the used of your Martial Arts if you gonna stop in 1st Kyu he or she should continue until they get to what ever black belt they wanna because sooner of later its gonna help you and you be happy you didn't stop by the time you can be teaching kids or adult and Telling them what to do and make sure they do it right and correct. I have A friend his a 1st kyu at my school sooner his gonna be 1st dan if i was you dont stop keep on going

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

I think we have to go back to that question that keeps popping up everywhere-- "what is a black belt?". That answer is different in every group. If you belong to a group where a black belt is just an indicator of a certain skill level, then it'd be silly to keep yourself at 1st kyu even as your skill level is advancing well beyond that. But if you're part of a group where being a black belt means taking on more responsibility and teaching or becoming a leader in the dojo or something like that, then it'd make more sense for someone to keep a kyu rank while continuing to train if they can't or are unwilling to make that commitment. Likewise, I had a friend who's been a 1st kyu (white belt) in Aikido for over a decade because in her group, testing for black belt involves hundreds of dollars in testing fees and traveling to a certain location to take the test and she just can't afford it.

So there are situations where staying at 1st kyu would be perfectly reasonable, but if black belt is just a symbol of mastering the basics and they've mastered the basics, then refusing that black belt wouldn't make much sense and could be confusing to others and would also contribute to the mystical view that's developed around the black belt which is not entirely realistic.

I think we have to go back to that question that keeps popping up everywhere-- "what is a black belt?". That answer is different in every group. If you belong to a group where a black belt is just an indicator of a certain skill level, then it'd be silly to keep yourself at 1st kyu even as your skill level is advancing well beyond that. But if you're part of a group where being a black belt means taking on more responsibility and teaching or becoming a leader in the dojo or something like that, then it'd make more sense for someone to keep a kyu rank while continuing to train if they can't or are unwilling to make that commitment. Likewise, I had a friend who's been a 1st kyu (white belt) in Aikido for over a decade because in her group, testing for black belt involves hundreds of dollars in testing fees and traveling to a certain location to take the test and she just can't afford it.

So there are situations where staying at 1st kyu would be perfectly reasonable, but if black belt is just a symbol of mastering the basics and they've mastered the basics, then refusing that black belt wouldn't make much sense and could be confusing to others and would also contribute to the mystical view that's developed around the black belt which is not entirely realistic.

Solid post!!

While the kyu/dan system is mostly everywhere, I believe that what Kano created was a good thing in both content and context. But over the many years, I believe that the kyu/dan system has been, imho, cheapened over the years by those whose intents are far less scrupulous.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In my 30 years of training, I've seen several "career" brown belts. Two guys come to mind. In class every time the doors were open, always uke, always willing to help out. The familar theme I noted in these 2 guys (and several others I've met) is a sense that they were stuck in the past in their lives, as well as the in the dojang. They liked their lives the same way it was 5-8 or more years before (when they became brown belts) and wanted to keep it that way.

I'm not saying that this is the case with every long time brown belt, but when I see one, the question I wonder is "why?" Why aren't they moving on to the next step? They might learn something in the next step that they can't learn where they are (in themselves in not the Art). And they might have something to contribute that they can't in their current rank.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I feel there is a level of development that happens after brown. dont get me wrong, there is something to be said for staying at that level of intensity, i am sure it changes over time, I am sure there is a mastery of the technique only someone in that situation could know (because the focus and drive seems to change after blackbelt)

I think that if your sensei feels you are ready for a promotion, its time to go.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I can relate to what the OP speaks about because I've refused and have denied my being promoted to Kudan, and I will continue to do so no matter what my Hombu says or what our By-Laws direct.

Kudan is not for me; I don't need it and I don't want it. If I can't test for it...keep it...if you're going to bestow rank upon me because of some rule/regulatiion...keep it...I appreciate the vote of confidence and all...but...KEEP IT!!

:kaioken:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've had 1kyu for 35 years and 10 was actively teaching and senior rank. I got tiered of teaching and not been able to practise. I've done some attemps to start again but there are no wadoryu clubs near by so I've trained with other styles. I don't feel like graduating to dan as basics are a little different.

Do I feel like a dan...I don't know. I feel like a man who is trying to keep in shape and like to learn martial arts.

• 3 weeks later...