• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not worthy?

Hi everyone this is my first post here been reading around the forums for awhile! I am fixing to test for my black belt and I am not so sure I am ready for this. It's funny the higher the belt I go I feel that I am not as ready to test for the next. I know my kata's, weapons etc etc have to break 5 blocks with different strikes not worried about that, it's just that I don't feel like I am ready. I know it sounds crazy my son brown belt and wife blue think I am crazy but I thought I would see what you think on here. I practice everyday at work on weekends could it be I train to much? I am 46 years old and feel like i need too. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Dunnigan66,

Been there too. Your Sensei would have been watching you train over the past months. If they didn't think you were ready then they would have said something.

You WILL make mistakes during your grading but don't let them get you down, just keep on going. When I was asked to do Pinan Yondan, I started out fine, but by the end I'd done Yondan, Sandan & Godan all mixed together (More than once too). Just relax, and do what you know already.

When you're done and have achieved Shodan, you know you have earned it.

All the best - GO FOR IT.

Barry :karate:

Sandan - Shukokai

Honbu - AM Shukokai Karate-Do Renmei

You'll be fine, your Instructor wouldn't put you forward if you weren't ready.

What Style of Karate do you study?

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Ditto for me. I think its only natural at times. But, you shouldn't feel strange if you feel confident in yourself, either. Good luck as you test! :karate:

Thanks everyone!!! Yea got it down just feels weird I think I practiced last night about 3 hours lol!!! I take an American style of karate that they call Kami Bushido blends alot of dif styles and also includes some MMA that they also teach at our dojo so it kinda overflows into advance classes which is kewl if you ever get knocked to the ground which I despise!! Not much to choose from around where I live and sadly TKD is just o high for the entire family to join! My son would excel in TKD he does all the full splits and crazy kicks I am just to old for all that lol. Once he gets black at his current dojo he is going to to take TKD I think he's only 13. Heres a pic of me and him.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/dunnigan1966/Austin_split_3_zps6054ab9e.jpg

Welcome aboard, dunnigan66. :) When are you testing?

Patrick

Not sure I have to have 2 private classes with Sensei and go from there it will be up to him my last test he sprung on me without me knowing about it. Should be very soon! Probably the toughest one to date I wasn't in testing mode if you know what i mean so it made hard and great test!

• 2 weeks later...

You're worthy!! Your sensei wouldn't allowing you to test for Shodan unless you were ready.

You're worthy...and let the test take care of its self. Good luck and just train and relax.

Please let us know how it goes once the test is over.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!