• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei's not big on sparring.

Barbaric Mike

Hello,

To start off I like my teacher, he really knows his stuff. He's got a great attitude and teaches because he's passionate about his art. He also teaches kobudo, which I should be learning eventually. The class is also amazingly affordable, $60/month for 3 classes a week. Many times the classes run over because he doesn't mind staying later and working with you. The school has a good vibe and I enjoy the training.

There is only one thing that bothers me and that's the fact that he doesn't believe in sparring any harder than light contact. I asked him about it and he said he'd wrecked his knees years ago from training too hard and he doesn't want that to happen to any of his students.

That makes sense but I'd still like to spar harder. I don't want to compete or take anyone's head off, but I would like more resistence so I can see how things I'm learning in class actually work out under heavier pressure. I also just kind of enjoy heavier sparring. Again I'm not talking about bludgeoning anyone to death, I just like to mix it up a little.

I live in a pretty big city and there are meet-ups and such all the time. Do you think that might give me what I want as far as sparring goes? Would it be rude to my teacher if I attended them? I've already asked him about it once and I don't want to be a pushy jerk but I'd also like to spar a little heavier for the challenge, the learning and the fun.

I was also thinking that some time I'd like to study judo or bjj. Maybe i can get my hard sparring fix through that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on what you want out of "sparring". If you're looking to test your current skills and work them against the pressure of heavier contact (which, btw, I think is critical now and again) then meet ups or extra-class workouts with like minded individuals in your club is the way to go.

If you like to just work live for the fun of it and like to learn new things, BJJ is a great answer. You'll find with it that the "free roll" is so ingrained into training that it's impossible for practitioners to consider a night of training without some sort of sparring time. And due to the nature of grappling sparring, it's very easy to train at greater intensities without the risks of injury to the degree of being struck. That said, control and technique is still (and really even to a greater degree to most schools) the primary concern. But, you will test your technique live every time you train.

That's an awesome feature to an art.

Now before we leave the subject altogether, let me say that light sparring isn't horrible. IF it is done with good tactics and combat mechanics. There is a huge difference between point fighting games of tag and good, mechanical, combat preparation at a controlled pace. No one can bang hard every time they are on the floor.

You can; however, roll with grappling arts pretty much every time with some level of intensity. Your body just holds up better. It depends on how you want to pursue your increase in sparring.

I'm really new here but I'd like to add my two cents if I could.

I've been taking Kenpo for almost two years now, and I bet we don't spar but once a month. Which for me is fine. If I want to spar I can pretty much call my Sensei any time and we can meet at the gym and he'll send a text or two and get more people there. I also have a loose group of people where one of them is almost always training for a fight and looking for a different sparring partner. Which is also fun for me since I get to do some submission grappling, and they get to throw punches at someone with a pretty long reach.

So that might be the answer for you, see if there's an MMA gym near you.

Tallgeese gave some good answers, and I can't add much more. Finding some guys or gals that are willing to up the intensity with from time to time might give you what you are looking for. Also, ask your instructor about it, and see if he knows and would recommend anyone you could some more of that kind of sparring with.

Hello,

To start off I like my teacher, he really knows his stuff. He's got a great attitude and teaches because he's passionate about his art. He also teaches kobudo, which I should be learning eventually. The class is also amazingly affordable, $60/month for 3 classes a week. Many times the classes run over because he doesn't mind staying later and working with you. The school has a good vibe and I enjoy the training.

There is only one thing that bothers me and that's the fact that he doesn't believe in sparring any harder than light contact. I asked him about it and he said he'd wrecked his knees years ago from training too hard and he doesn't want that to happen to any of his students.

That makes sense but I'd still like to spar harder. I don't want to compete or take anyone's head off, but I would like more resistence so I can see how things I'm learning in class actually work out under heavier pressure. I also just kind of enjoy heavier sparring. Again I'm not talking about bludgeoning anyone to death, I just like to mix it up a little.

I live in a pretty big city and there are meet-ups and such all the time. Do you think that might give me what I want as far as sparring goes? Would it be rude to my teacher if I attended them? I've already asked him about it once and I don't want to be a pushy jerk but I'd also like to spar a little heavier for the challenge, the learning and the fun.

I was also thinking that some time I'd like to study judo or bjj. Maybe i can get my hard sparring fix through that.

Go down to your local Community College and join an MMA club. They generally provide free instructions, free gear, free mat time, and a free referee. Well, almost free. Club fees generally run $20 for 3 months.

Just keep in mind the difference between a strike with pads versus a strike without pads. For example, most people can take a punch to the face from a gloved hand. Most can't from a bare knuckle. Hence the difference between sport and self-defnese.

I completely understand your frustration concerning the lack of sparring, however, he is the Sensei and you'll have to follow his directions.

As a suggestion, seek out another school to satisfy your need for full contact. Otherwise, you will have to be content with the amount of sparring now.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone

I think I'm getting a lot out of the training so i'm not thinking about leaving the school. I'm just going to accept the level of sparring we're at. It seems like it's technically good stuff, we just don't hit really hard when we do it. But we do spar regularly and the sensei stresses smart application and good technique. I think he just doesn't want to see anyone needlessly tear themselves up, which is probably a good thing.

I may though, take up bjj at some later time just because i like grappling and it looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!

I think he just doesn't want to see anyone needlessly tear themselves up, which is probably a good thing.

We encourage contact at our school and spar frequently but this is something that we as instructors have to be mindful of every class as not all our students train for the same reasons. Good luck with the JJ-it is fun!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Fight on your own, join a MMA gym, challenge dojos or find a friend/relative who fights

Dojo challenges are a good way to get hurt, especially if you win.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma