• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To all adult Martial Artists in America!

Well the working day theoretically finishes at around 5:00pm, and most classes start around 6-7pm, and go to maybe 8 or 9, so there is plenty of time (in theory) to attend MA training. Of course, in reality, work sometimes interferes, and adults sometimes come late to class through no fault of their own. Sometimes maybe they can't train as much as they want, but hey, if you can't spare a few nights a week for an hour or so, it's probably a sign you are working too hard (and damaging your health thru stress and lack of exercise).

Of course there's also weekend training, and martial arts is one of few physical activities or sports where families can all participate together. (Unlike football, baseball, cricket, etc, where things are rigidly grouped according to age and gender).

Ironically, I've been working weekends so that I have days free during the week to train. Weeknights I have to work a night shift...

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here in Panama the working schedules are from 8 am to 5 pm in most of the places.

After 5 pm. you have time to do whatever you want. Classes here are from 1 hour to 2 hours , and most people only train two or three times a week.

So you can work and Train. with no problem. lol

I find that most Americans who love the MA try to make it to class no matter what. I know I do. Money sometimes in my dojo can be negotiated. If the head instructor knows that you have nothing he may make it so you can clean the dojo or do other work to pay for class. Every once in awhile just give a free class (not to often because the dojo does have bills to pay)

I am a Domestic Engineer! My job isn't a 9 to 5! It is a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, 365 day per year job that will last until my children are on their own. (Even then I will still watch out for them!)

I train at night twice per week at the dojo and the rest of the time at home with my husband.

~*KarateMom*~

If its what you want to truly do and you have the money you make time to do it be sacraficing time spent on other things. TV is a great thing to sacrafice. If it is a money issue then you sacrafice the meneal things that are not so important to you and find the money. In the long run you do what you need to do to find a way to do the things you want to do.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

maybe young adults in korea are too busy with "so gae ting", soju, tambae..j/k..nah..

well, most koreans learn tae kwon do during their elementary school years. Once they hit junior high school, all time must be devoted to attending school, because of the very intense educational system in korea...once they graduate from high school, they have to join the army..once they are out of the army, they focus time lost into school...These stages disrupt learning tae kwon do.

here in america, our educational system and society accomodates and promotes physical fitness.~

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

One of the crucial differences in the martial arts culture of the two countries is that Korean children learn Tae Kwon Do in school. Few American grade schools offer any martial arts training to children. Those who do learn a martial art a a very small part of the population.

It has been a while since I was in Korea but there is also a very large difference in the attitudes of the general population in terms of fitness for adults. Here we have a lot of gyms and health clubs where adults go to maintain some degree of fitness to offset their sedentary life styles. I do not remember a Korean equivalant.

On the other hand there was a much higher percentage of the population that had a more physically active life in terms of jobs and lack of personal private transportation.

I'm 14, so I don't have to worry about money :D Plus high scool is so easy I don't even have to try and I don't have any homework. boy it's gonna suck when I grow up :(

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

It amazes me to find adults from such diverse occupations who seem to find the most "enjoyment" from their training and manage to incorporate this training into their busy and stressful lives successfully. Through the doors of our school we've had (housewives -24hr domestic engineers, doctors/surgeons, dentists, lots of school teachers (I wonder why :wink: ), accountants/financial mgrs., computer techs, .... just to name a few....

I'm wondering if there is any correlation for the interest in martial arts within certain occupations :-? ... would make a neat study!

That's a very interesting thought Deby,

I'm wondering if there is any correlation for the interest in martial arts within certain occupations ... would make a neat

study!

The instructors and many students from my school are very well educated people. We have dentists, PHD's, University professors, A law professor, a few CEO's, a bunch a law students and other university kids going to Grad school.