• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having Only One Technique

I thought about this... assuming I can only pick one single technique to cover all situations, attack and defense, I'd pick something like a sonkal daebi makgi. (I think the Karate equivalent would be shuto uke). I could then use it as both a block and a strike and as a guarding position.

Good thought here.

I think there was a book written about a down block, with like 75 different applications. I'd check that out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think there was a book written about a down block, with like 75 different applications. I'd check that out.

"75 Down Blocks" by Rick Clark, which is available on Kindle for 10 bucks nowadays. It's an interesting read and there is some good applications. There's also a few stinkers in there too unfortunately. The main idea is it gets you to look outside the box and see what you can do with a chosen technique.

"75 Down Blocks" by Rick Clark, which is available on Kindle for 10 bucks nowadays. It's an interesting read and there is some good applications. There's also a few stinkers in there too unfortunately. The main idea is it gets you to look outside the box and see what you can do with a chosen technique.

That's what I thought. I would give it a look. Thanks!

For Judo I would want it to be De Ashi Barai.

Nothing quite captures the elegance and simplicity of the principles quite as well as a good footsweep. It isn't applicable to every situation, but with a bit of practice it is versatile and it truly illustrates the need for timing and knowledge over speed and strength.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.