• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having Only One Technique

Let me preface this topic by saying that there's no single technique within the MA that can address every need one might encounter...imho.

Imagine if Karate, Judo, TKD, BJJ, JKD, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Capoeira, just to name a few, only had 1 technique...that's it...ONE Technique.

What one technique would you want it to be?

For me, I'd want a technique that could deliver blunt trauma, for example, an elbow or a knee or a heel.

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that I might choose a straight punch. While being primarly a strike, one could use it redirect an attack as well.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Assuming that blocking/deflecting/trapping aren't included, I would definitely pick elbows!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

A very stong maegeri kick to chudan is my technique of choice, particularly a fraction of a second after hearing HAJIME!

OSU

I love it... :P ...always be ready and when you aren't...opps....sorry...my bad....heheheheeheee

:wink:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I thought about this... assuming I can only pick one single technique to cover all situations, attack and defense, I'd pick something like a sonkal daebi makgi. (I think the Karate equivalent would be shuto uke). I could then use it as both a block and a strike and as a guarding position.

But if I had to chose one technique to carry on the essence of TKD and what the style embodies, it'd be a side kick.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Power double.

It closes the distance gap and avoids trading strikes with strikers. Gives you top game against grapplers. Can sometimes be useful vs. weapons. It sets you up to punch down if you really need to hurt your guy or hold for control without damage. Lastly, against multiple attackers it lets you own one fast and possibly break out of any encircling maneuvers.