• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Character Development and the Martial Arts

We've all heard it several times that ma's are supposed to develop character. Right? In fact, it's often cited as a major goal for ma participation. I've usually been the one to throw the flag at this statement and argue for technical proficiency in combat.

That said, something caught me while re-reading "Secrets of the Samurai" by Ratti and Westbrook recently (this is one of those books I go back to every few years for at least a review). While discussing the foundational elements of the inner factors of bujutsu, the authors make the statement that the weapon (either crafted or the human body) was useless without the inner factors that go into it's use. For instance, they cited an understanding of when to use force, the will to deploy for, and the ability to make decisions under the fog of conflict; all attributes that combatants of any sort strive for today.

The authors argue that this is the "character" building that goes into the arts. The development of one's character has to do with learning in such a way that he is able to deploy the weapon of his choice in a masterful fashion. It is not, to their thinking, what we in the west would (and often do) cite as "character" but the intrinsic factors that make a warrior effective.

This, I can wrap my head around as "character development" thru the martial arts.

Thoughts anyone?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that "character building" often happens as a secondary perk in Martial Arts. Most either get into it as a way to stay fit or as a way to learn how to defend theirselves. I think it is those intrinsic factors listed that make the warrior effective but I hesitate to ascribe this to what is generally thought of as character building. I think that the character building that comes from Martial Arts is two fold. One relates to the character as disciplined Martial Artist, as the book speaks of and the other as molding the practitioner into a Human Being who strives to be respectful and good to others both outside and in the dojo.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I never liked the idea of having the western idea of character building in the martial arts, at least not for adults. For kids, they seem to get that in everything they do-- school, scouts, church, sports-- it's ingrained in every facet of their lives and I agree with that. Kids need that guidance and reinforcement to build those qualities. But as an adult, I don't like people trying "fix" or build my character. That's my responsibility. If I'm doing something wrong and someone points it out to me, that's one thing, but it's up to me to decide to fix it, figure out how, and implement the changes. I don't need some old guy in white pajamas going out of his way to tell me to be honest or considerate or anything like that. I know those things by this point in my life and it's up to me to live them. I go to martial arts classes to train, not to be preached to.

If we look at the old writings, a big part of it was combat psychology. About being ready to act in the midst of chaos.This was at a time when combat was mostly close range and very bloody, the kind of combat which has the most powerful and immediate emotional response. So yes, that's a big part of it. But there is more, with every bit as practical of reasoning.

The samurai, in times of peace, were riot police, town guards and all around civil servants. For this reason, they were expected to learn about the ways of monks, merchants, farmers and carpenters and such. It does an officer of the law little good to be perceived as a stupid yokel with 2 swords and a funny haircut. Besides, these were warriors without much of a central government. Without a code, there would be total anarchy and tyranny. To serve and protect, Semper fidelis, ya know?

Musashi was a poet and a painter, a common thing among the samurai. It was wise to have a non-martial hobby. Combat readiness involves a lot of visualization and thought on the darker sides of the human experience. This needs to be balanced out. As Nietzche would say if he were alive today- He who gazes too long into the abyss should go to icanhas.cheezburger.com/ and look at the cute kitty pictures.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I think combat training will build those characteristics important for being good at combat. The idea of building the characteristics of integrity, courtesy, etc, is the role of the family unit, and to seek it through MAs is ok, but I don't think it should be pushed as the selling point that it often is.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you really define "character building?" It seems like it happens as a process of living life. I suppose with children there are specific actions taken to build character; teaching them when it's appropriate to use violence, when and how to talk your way out of a tough spot. It seems like adults should pretty well have that figured out, otherwise your going to be a social outcast because you haven't developed the social skills to fit into society.

Even adults can continue to develop, if they choose to. I think it usually takes a bit more determination to change as an adult, though.

Ben Franklin worked his entire life to systematically improve his character. He split what he believed to be good character up into 12 virtues and concentrated on one virtue each week evaluating himself at the end of every day and every week and then every 12 weeks starting back with number one.

Adults can definitely work their entire lives to improve their character. As an adult, however, I tend to resent other people trying to push their idea of good character on me. If I'm displaying bad character, call me out on it, but outside of that, I feel like I should deal with my own character and let others deal with theirs.