• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My son's Wrestling season...

We have now started the Greco/Freestyle season of practice. Its two nights a week, for 2 hours each night. Kendall is always nervous about this style, I think mainly because of the throwing. He has more of a comfort level with folk style, and I feel I can help him with folk style better than Greco or Freestyle. But, I think its good for him to keep getting the mat time, and he is even having a better attitude about the practices, and is staying much more positive. I don't think we will be hitting any competitions for it yet, but he will hit the practicies as often as he can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that once Kendall is submerged in it, he'll enjoy all aspects about it, especially the throwing. He's solid, and has nothing to worry, but, he's young and when I was that young, I too was apprehensive about a lot of things until I got a taste of it.

Train hard, and have a blast!! Good luck on this new season. Oh yeah, keep video's coming...I love them!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Kendall competed in a takedown tournament this last weekend, on June 20th, and he is currently at the Tiger Wrestling Camp at Fort Hays State this week. At the end of the camp, there is another takedown tourney, so I will hopefully have videos of those up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have some matches from a few takedown tournaments that Kendall was in over the past month. Its been nice to have him still Wrestling in some form, with baseball season going full swing now, too.

These takedown tournaments have different rules, so I'll explain them as I go here. The divisions were basically put together once the kids showed up and were weighed. Age groups were Pre K - 12U, weight was 78-89 lbs, so you didn't know how old a kid you would get.

Showdown at Sundown Takedown Tournament, Hill City, KS, on 6/20/2014. They got 2 points for a takedown, and if they took their opponent down and straight to their back, they could get up to 3 back points, and a pin of they got it. If you got them down and took their back, you got 2 points, but if the opponent bellied out and got to their base, then both were stood back up to neutral position. The goal is to work the takedowns. Three 1 minute rounds, 10 point separation was a tech fall.

Match 1, part 1:

This was against a kid from our club, and Kendall wrapped him in a headlock really tight, and got a pin.

Match 1, part 2:

Since it was quick, they let them continue to wrestle a while, which was nice. Kendall shot in, but didn't quite get low enough, so it wasn't a very clean takedown, and he had trouble getting the back points this time. They were stood up, Kendall shot again (he is wearing the maroon singlet), but got sprawled on. But he worked some weird headlock again, and saved his position.

Match 2:

He starts the match by shooting, but he has to learn to close the gap more before taking the shot. But he gets the takedown, takes the kids back, and they stand them back up. The next shot is better; he closes in. He gets him down, and tries for the pin, and really churns his legs to try to get there, but they get stood up again. Third takedown was even nicer, got good lift and drove him down, and got good cover to get back points, and gets a pin.

Tiger Takedown Tournament, at Fort Hays State University Tiger Wrestling Camp, Wednesday, 6/25/2014. The rules for this tournament were similar to Hill City's, but no pins. A takedown was worth 2, a 5 count on the back got them 3, and then stood them back up. I'm not sure if there was a tech fall rule or not. He weighed 89 lbs (up 9 lbs since the end of folk season!).

Match 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CoNSBKADFY My iPad stopped somewhere through the match, but I got most of it. Kendall has faced this kid in folk tournies before, but only a few times. He nailed a nice double leg to start, then followed it with kind of a duck-under single to get the back. Next, he got put in a headlock, and got taken down and held for some back points. Then he got into a funny takedown where the kid rolled him over, but Kendall twisted and got good position. They went a bit longer, and Kendall ended up winning.

Match 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqVnpJmpQDI This match was against a fellow club member we faced a lot this year. He got the first points, but it wasn't very clean, but they count. Shortly after, they got to tusselling and actually turned his back, which I talked to him about not doing. He cleaned up a bit, got a takedown, but keeps getting rolled, something with some balance. He got another headlock takedown after a bunch of dancing and goofing. He learned some good tieups at the camp, but he still doesn't use them well yet. Then they got into grabby-grab phase, and the match ended. Kendall won, but he needed some work there.

The camp was a great experience for him, and he learned several things that he showed me and that we add to our workouts. They should be helpful for him next year.

• 4 months later...

Woohoo! Its that time of year again! I just took both my boys to the Wrestling Club meeting tonight. I've got them both signed up this year, so it'll be busy for me on Monday and Thursday nights. I'm all excited and ready for the season!