• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My son's Wrestling season...

Most sincere congratulations to Kendall and Kenneth; I'm so very proud of you two!!

All Americans...WOW...AWESOME!!

I'm looking forward to watch some Freestyle/Greco videos!!

I bow to Kenneth and Kendall; rock on, train hard, have fun, and your next win is one pin away!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our awards banquet tonight for the Wrestling club. Kendall and Kenneth both received their certificates for being members of the club this year, and Kendall was recognized in a couple of spots. The coaches said mentioned that all the placers at the Gunsmoke Nationals tournament are recognized as All-Amercians, so that was pretty cool. He also received an award for the most pins in the 8 and under class. It was a pretty good night!

Freestyle/Greco practice is going pretty well, too. After the first night, he was pretty down because he felt like he wasn't any good, but after talking him through it, and staying consistent with practices, he's really showing some improvement, and I think he is really liking it a lot more. He's learned some things that I think he can really use to help him in Folk Style, so long as he keeps practicing and remembers them.

That is AWESOME! Nice work to both! Cool that they are doing freestyle and Greco as well. There is some major cross training applications there.

We had our awards banquet tonight for the Wrestling club. Kendall and Kenneth both received their certificates for being members of the club this year, and Kendall was recognized in a couple of spots. The coaches said mentioned that all the placers at the Gunsmoke Nationals tournament are recognized as All-Amercians, so that was pretty cool. He also received an award for the most pins in the 8 and under class. It was a pretty good night!

Freestyle/Greco practice is going pretty well, too. After the first night, he was pretty down because he felt like he wasn't any good, but after talking him through it, and staying consistent with practices, he's really showing some improvement, and I think he is really liking it a lot more. He's learned some things that I think he can really use to help him in Folk Style, so long as he keeps practicing and remembers them.

That is AWESOME! Nice work to both! Cool that they are doing freestyle and Greco as well. There is some major cross training applications there.

I agree, Alex. I've seen some very interesting stuff from it, as well.

Bob, thanks so much for the kind words!

• 1 month later...

An update here. Kendall just completed our local FHSU Tiger Wrestling Camp this past week, on Wednesday finishing with a takedown tournament. He went 1-1 in matches, against bigger and older kids. He was pretty passive in his first match, though, and hopefully we can work on it. He said he had a pretty decent time at the camp, and talked to me and showed me some of the stuff he learned, which is what I am always looking for with a camp like that. It was the 2nd year he attended the camp, and I think he will go back next year, too.

An update here. Kendall just completed our local FHSU Tiger Wrestling Camp this past week, on Wednesday finishing with a takedown tournament. He went 1-1 in matches, against bigger and older kids. He was pretty passive in his first match, though, and hopefully we can work on it. He said he had a pretty decent time at the camp, and talked to me and showed me some of the stuff he learned, which is what I am always looking for with a camp like that. It was the 2nd year he attended the camp, and I think he will go back next year, too.

Way to go Kendall; awesome! Thank you, Brian for that update. But wait...NO VIDEO... :bawling:

Why do you think he was passive? Maybe it was just a camp and not a competition?!

GO KENDALL...GO KENNETH!!

Thanks, guys. Bob, Kendall has been more passive with his shots lately, mainly I think because he isn't shooting close enough, and is getting caught underneath. We've been working on it, though, and I hope to work it out of him by the start of the season.

Thanks, guys. Bob, Kendall has been more passive with his shots lately, mainly I think because he isn't shooting close enough, and is getting caught underneath. We've been working on it, though, and I hope to work it out of him by the start of the season.

I can see that happening; with you and his coach, he'll do fine in the long run!! Good to see that it's not because of it not being a tournament because if it was the reason, then, imho, he's getting a bit overconfident; it happens.

Pst...any new videos to share with us?!?

Sounds like the boys are doing really well Brian :up: Especially Kendall.

I've been watching some of his matches but I don't really understand the rules or what's happening. Your commentaries are really helpful but can you link to somewhere that has a basic run down of the rules and how these matches are scored?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Sounds like the boys are doing really well Brian :up: Especially Kendall.

I've been watching some of his matches but I don't really understand the rules or what's happening. Your commentaries are really helpful but can you link to somewhere that has a basic run down of the rules and how these matches are scored?

Thanks for the kind words, Danielle.

I will try to find a link the folkstyle wrestling rules for you. Here's a very basic rundown:

Takedowns are worth 2 points. The goal is to get the opponent on his back and pin, or win by points. When the attacking wrestler on top puts the opponent into a pinning combination, which basically means the opponent is "in danger" of getting pinned, and the shoulders break the 90 degree plane with the mat, the ref starts counting off back points, which you can get 3 of at a time. If the attacking wrestler gets the opponent to his shoulders and can hold both shoulders to the mat, he gets a pin. A wrestler on the bottom can score points with a reversal, in which he gets out of the bottom position and gains control of the top position, which is usually by gaining control at the hips. An escape, which is standing up and getting away from the bottom, is worth 1 point.

Hope that helps. I'll try to find some rules that don't read like a phone book and post a link.