• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Related Question

If I had 3 months to prepare for any of Martial Art training. So, apart from Martial Arts various programmes like Jiu-jitsu, Karate, Take-one-do and other. I like to get training Karate because it's a basic self-defence training programme. It's frequently quicker to learn among all programmes of Martial art.

jiu-jitsu moves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had 3 months to prepare for any of Martial Art training. So, apart from Martial Arts various programmes like Jiu-jitsu, Karate, Take-one-do and other. I like to get training Karate because it's a basic self-defence training programme. It's frequently quicker to learn among all programmes of Martial art.
How is Karate "quicker" to learn than any of the others mentioned?

Generally, Beginners starting to take Martial art training with Karate and I also feel that it's easy to learn Karate moves. Jiu-jitsu training is tricky business to learn so, I think that Karate can be more quicker.

jiu-jitsu moves

Generally, Beginners starting to take Martial art training with Karate and I also feel that it's easy to learn Karate moves. Jiu-jitsu training is tricky business to learn so, I think that Karate can be more quicker.

I think I would have to disagree with you here. I work on teaching kids all the time in TKD, and see how much work it can be to get some of the more technical aspects of body motions down. Side kicks are especially tough to iron out from a technical standpoint, and the coordination of two moving arms in most hand techniques takes some time, as well.

I also have a son who Wrestles. Now these kids get on the mat, start reviewing techniques, like takedowns, reversals, stand-ups, etc, and after going through the motions for some reps, they start working the reps with partners, then Wrestle live. Things move a lot faster, and they get more productive reps, and I really think that helps them pick things up faster.

Now, I am not saying that grappling is easy to pick up. I do think, however, that most grappling environments are more conducive to a quicker learning curve.

Do we, the instructors, truly have the right to decide what a child should/needs to learn, martial arts wise? After all, I believe that the parent(s) have that right, and only the parent(s)

If an instructor refuses to teach something for whatever reason(s), that too is the right of the instructor alone.

Both sides have to be respected, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Do we, the instructors, truly have the right to decide what a child should/needs to learn, martial arts wise? After all, I believe that the parent(s) have that right, and only the parent(s)

I would think most parents wouldn't have the knowledge or understanding of the martial arts to really know what their child should and shouldn't be learning. I don't think a parent has the right to tell a martial arts instructor what to teach their child. If they don't like the curriculum at a given school, they can take their child out of the school. Last thing any teacher needs is thirty parents all telling him how to do his job.

I would think most parents wouldn't have the knowledge or understanding of the martial arts to really know what their child should and shouldn't be learning. I don't think a parent has the right to tell a martial arts instructor what to teach their child. If they don't like the curriculum at a given school, they can take their child out of the school. Last thing any teacher needs is thirty parents all telling him how to do his job.

That's the problem, imho, with parents when they bring their kids to learn the MA. They don't find out as much as they can about everything. Parents become idle in what their kids are a part of, in this case, the MA.

The parent has NO right to tell the instructor anything MA related, but the parent(s) will decide for their children what's best for them.

Parents need, imho, to be more involved with their children especially when it comes to the MA. Is that instructor the best for their children? Not, is this style of the MA best for their children? That comes only when the parent(s) research everything; being a prepared parent is needed.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think I would have to disagree with you here. I work on teaching kids all the time in TKD, and see how much work it can be to get some of the more technical aspects of body motions down. Side kicks are especially tough to iron out from a technical standpoint, and the coordination of two moving arms in most hand techniques takes some time, as well.

I also have a son who Wrestles. Now these kids get on the mat, start reviewing techniques, like takedowns, reversals, stand-ups, etc, and after going through the motions for some reps, they start working the reps with partners, then Wrestle live. Things move a lot faster, and they get more productive reps, and I really think that helps them pick things up faster.

Now, I am not saying that grappling is easy to pick up. I do think, however, that most grappling environments are more conducive to a quicker learning curve.

Ok, than probably I have to eat my words here and it's great information for me because, I am also a beginner who recently started to take Karate training. So, it's absolutely worth information for me about TKD as well.

jiu-jitsu moves

So here's a question for those of you who answered -

Now that it's three months later, did you work on what you wanted to?

I would spend 3 months on drilling and picking out forms applications, figuring out the process and working things over and over again.

Nope, didn't get to do it. I've been doing some reading on it, though. I may start using my son as a training partner in these aspects, even though he is quite smaller than me.