• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Beginner's Thoughts

Anne Onimous

My two cents on pain, and sparring.

I probably spar more outside of class than in. Always wear gloves, and a mouth piece, and I don't wear headgear nearly as much as I should. I've been tagged with hook kicks, and punches to the head that have stunned and/or dazed me. In each instance the attacker stopped and apologized. In recent weeks this has irritated me. A real attacker won't stop to ask if I'm OK, he will press the attack when/if he sees I'm stunned. I want to learn to fight through that and defend myself until I can get my wits back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. You don't want to end up being punch drunk. Try to simulate your training to reflect your goals here. Maybe by starting from a kneeling position and fighting up to a standing position or something like that. Or enter more hard contact competitions.

I agree that it's not a good thing. Which makes me avoid it all that much more in the future. The two times I have been dazed one was the hook kick, and I had head gear on, and the instructor reprimanded the guy who did it. The second time I didn't have on headgear, but we both had on boxing gloves, and I stupidly dropped my hands. I don't drop my hands anymore.

My Sensei is very careful to not let it go that far in class.