• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Beginner's Thoughts

Anne Onimous

Well, I received a response to my email to the Shotokan group. It felt like a copy-paste response, but it did answer my questions. There was a snippet of info that, I imagine, was unintentionally added to their response... which stated an assumption that I was observing the testing because I had a child in their karate program already. I'm not even old enough to have a child in karate :P.

They have a one class per week beginner program before a person joins the regular class, at $30/mo. I'm not too thrilled about starting off so slowly, to be honest. Contact is described as 'light' and head contact is not permitted. Not my preference, but nothing wrong with that. I'll probably try a few classes out with them, but I'm not really happy with the tone of the response. The written word is not always able to convey the right emotions and tone, however, so perhaps I should assume that their reply was intended to me more respectful than it sounded. It just seemed... too impersonal.

Everyone has offered great advise so far. If you've narrowed down your choices to two or three (including the MMA gym), then spend time each week viewing each of the classes. See different classes each week from each school. Tuesday class may have a different focus than Thursday class.

As far as the experience of the instructor goes, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Learning from an instructor with 25 plus years of experience teaching is sure to gain you some valuable knowledge. But don't discount the less experienced instructor, either. He may have good ideas and methodologies, and may offer a curriculum that is more up your alley.

Best of luck in starting your journey, and welcome to KarateForums, too. :karate:

Hm, well, there's a bit of a time crunch with the dojos closing for winter break in about a week. And, they have very similar time schedules, so I can't visit both in one day.

I'm leaning away from the Shotokan place with the latest information I've got, but it's still anyone's game if the Goju-Ryu place doesn't offer any disappointments.

... And, of course, thank you for your hospitality. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry too much about organization affiliations with the Goju-Ryu dojo. As with almost all martial arts organizations, politics eventually cause fractures that result in some people starting their own organizations, and some people just choose to stop being involved entirely. That said, he has a Meibukan patch on his gi in his photo, so I would assume that he has remained affiliated with them.

ETA: Just checked on the Meibukan's website and confirmed that his instructor's dojo is listed as a Member Dojo, and he is listed as a Blackbelt under his instructor. That, to me, does indicate that he is in good standing with the organization, particularly since his dojo uses the same name (CMMA) and logo as his instructor's dojo.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

ETA: Just checked on the Meibukan's website and confirmed that his instructor's dojo is listed as a Member Dojo, and he is listed as a Blackbelt under his instructor. That, to me, does indicate that he is in good standing with the organization, particularly since his dojo uses the same name (CMMA) and logo as his instructor's dojo.

I had noticed that. I'm feeling a bit less uptight about these sorts of things, but it is my nature for my mind to rush ahead and try to figure out the future before I know much about the present.

Tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

My Sensei is a Nidan, and an excellent instructor... he started training before I was even born, but had to take a long break due to military service and injury.

It's best to judge, not by rank, but by the feeling you get from the instructor, and what you actually observe in the class, in my opinion. :D

I think one class a week would drive me nuts too.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I had noticed that. I'm feeling a bit less uptight about these sorts of things, but it is my nature for my mind to rush ahead and try to figure out the future before I know much about the present.

Martial Arts is a great cure for that. At the very least it worked for me.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Martial Arts is a great cure for that. At the very least it worked for me.

Yeah, the Martial Arts forces you to learn patience.

Well, I ended up having to do something today, so I won't be making it down to that particular dojo until Saturday.

In other news, I found a Chito-Ryu dojo. They have literally no advertisement, as all I found was an address and a phone number on some association's website. Nothing in the yellow pages, or on the Internet.

I'm excited to find out more about them.

I also found a Kyokushin place, but their prices are a little out of my budget.

They have literally no advertisement, as all I found was an address and a phone number on some association's website. Nothing in the yellow pages, or on the Internet.

You'll find great training in some of these places. Some of the best schools I've seen were in a one car garage in the back yard.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

They have literally no advertisement, as all I found was an address and a phone number on some association's website. Nothing in the yellow pages, or on the Internet.

You'll find great training in some of these places. Some of the best schools I've seen were in a one car garage in the back yard.

This is true. My school was 100% word of mouth, he never advertised but the training I received was invaluable.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

This is true. My school was 100% word of mouth, he never advertised but the training I received was invaluable.

Yep, I agree! I found my school purely by chance and it is quite possibly some of the most quality MA teaching I have ever had!