• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got My Brown Belt

So I guess I have to amend my first "2013 Martial Arts Goal" because I already accomplished it. I got promoted to 3rd kyu brown belt tonight. It's kinda sad because now there are no pretty colors left and I've got a long journey now with six (difficult) kata to learn before my black belt test, not to mention all the other stuff. It's scary to think my next new belt (we don't do stripes or anything like that) will be black belt in a few years. It's also a huge step up in what people expect of you. Now in the kids' class they've got me standing up in front of the class instead of in the back and when we were working an aikido drill in the adult class my partner, another brown belt, made me do it until I got it perfect whereas before he would have just let me go through the motions. It's gonna be a long journey, but I'm looking forward to that-- a chance to really focus and take my time to really get into the meat. It's a good day. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Awesome, to me Brown belt is THE best grade to be whether its 3rd, 2nd or 1st Kyu/Gup/Kup. You have the skills that are equivalent to a black belt but just not sat the test.

I've known career Brown belts that some Black belts call them Sempai.

IF I wasn't looking for teaching I would have been happy to sit at brown for many more years than I did.

Congratulations to your promotion my friend, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)