• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats a good art for weapons

rabid hamster

Most Okinawan karate schools do some weapons.

Ryukyu (Okinawan) Kobudo uses a lot of different weapons, the Bo being the most popular. Sai, tonfa, nunchaku and kama are pretty standard as well. The Eku, timbae / rochin, tekko, sansetsu kun, suruchin, nunti-bo, kuwa, and a few others are often done as well.

Various Kung Fu groups do weapons training.

There are also some groups that train European weapons - Swords, quarter staff, axes, polearms, mace, etc.

Arnis/Escrima/Kali do sticks & blades.

Sport Karate schools can put on a fancy show using things which "resemble" weapons.

Wushu will include weapons performance as well.

If you really want to learn to use them, try to find a place that spars with them (Lots of fun and very important). However you'll likely not have many options, weapons training is not as common as hand to hand.

Most of my students involved with weapons come from my karate class, very few start mainly for the weapons.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu (my preference, since that's what I'm in) has alot of weapons with usefull techiques.

or that filipino art, which I think is very practical. That one that has a bunch of different types of knives and sticks.

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -

• 3 weeks later...

Ibouchet, Submission Fighter- did I see ninjitsu!!!?

As sweet the ancient art is, I thought we had about the same amount of ninjitsu schools in the USA as we do Sushi Bars. I mean, I've seen instructional videos in Century catalogue, but I've never heard of a ninja dojo somewhere in the US. Just curious :D ...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

For some strange reason I seem to have totally ignored this topic whenever it came up on my screen. I have no idea why - such is my dedication to the internet community ;)

I'm not too worried about using nunchaku in a fight situation, so I kinda prefer that spinning garbage

Fine by me - whatever floats your boat. I aint gunna push my thoughts or theories onto you, unlike many of the ppl here.

The nunchaku is not allowed for self-defense or otherwise. It spins at 150 PSI (thats pounds per square inch) and the head (human) breaks at or around 8-10 PSI.[\quote]

Yup, sounds pretty nasty to me - but I think we should remind outselves of what basic pistols do. Just a thought.......

Try a folding or hunting knife, their legal, fast, and deadly....

Not in my country it isn't.........a weapon is a weapon is a weapon. I just think that a belt isnt as obvious as a Bowie. Just a thought.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• 1 month later...

How I answer depends on how I take your question.

If you are looking for weapon forms, then I agree with the Wushu suggestion. I think few arts have as many weapons forms, nor as pretty a weapons forms as Modern Wushu.

If you are looking for weapon fighting arts, I'm a big fan of my own. I do also agree with the FMA reccomendation. Theres some nice work in Systema, and the fairbrane / Applegate WWII combatives as well.

• 4 weeks later...

id go with kung fu we have lots of weapons

ninjitsu has more of course because ninjas are insane and have like a thousand different things to throw and claws and stuff but it would be dumb to be a ninja because you're trained to kill people and killing people isnt legal so you'd be bored and im rambling so take kung fu

9th kyu(white belt)-shaolin chuan kung fu