• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats a good art for weapons

rabid hamster

hey peoples,

i think ive asked this before a looooooonnngggg time ago but no one seemed to know. does anyone know a good art for learning weapons.. i mean lots of weapons, cool ones too...and not just weapons but also teaches empty hand fighting? well.. other then kendo, fencing, or those stick and knife fighting indonesian art things. I'm not too interested in kendo and fencing, and don't have any kali/eskirma/whatever available.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We learn a decent number of weapons in Kuk Sool Won, but they aren't the emphasis. You get to staff, short sticks, and sometimes jool bong before black. Sword, more staff, and more short sticks after 1st dan. More sword, cane and rope after 2nd, double short sword, fan, and some others after 3rd, etc. We also learn archery and throwing knoves, but they aren't part of the official curriculum. I'm about to start spear, but I'm not sure were it "officially" falls in the curriculum. I think after 3rd.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I agree with Pacificshore. Wushu has some amazing looking weapons katas, and a variety of different weapons. They also teach open-hand, but for the most part, all of Wushu is just performance (if I understand correctly). You're not really going to get the self-defense or combat benefits. If you're still interested in that, KungFu may be the way to go.

My dojo only teaches nunchaku, kama/kusarigama, and bo staff. Long before I started, they taught sai. We're trying to get into sword, and I want to learn the kung-fu fan. (speaking of which, monkeyninja, where's my tape? :P )

However, since you mentioned availability, I would suggest looking at all the different schools in your area. Find out what weapons they teach, if any. You also want to find out whether or not weapons training is a special privelige, and if so, how is that attained? When do you start weapons? Then, if possible, check out a few classes. Take a look at their weapons "experts" and have them do a kata/form that is taught to the class. If you really want to be finnicky, have them also show you the very first kata that you would learn. Have this done for each weapon. Then, watch some regular classes to get a feel for their open-hand training.

Do this for each school in your area, and compare! (You may want to bring a notebook) You'll get some funny looks and it may take awhile, but at least you'll have the best training you can get. :D

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Generally I have found that many karate schools now adays are also offering a Kobudo program. I would suggest looking for a karate/kobudo school, the two arts completment each other very well :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Leaf - yes

Just be aware - a school may say they teach Okinawan Kobudo, when they actually just wave a pair of nunchaku around their heads.

And also, you know a REAL kobudo school if they go for effectiveness, not that stupid spinning on the chord of the nunchaku garbage.

GRRRRRRR it makes me so mad......

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Really Tobias_Reece? I'm not too worried about using nunchaku in a fight situation, so I kinda prefer that spinning garbage ;)

My dojo does weapons katas...and that's pretty much it. We want to get into weapon sparring, but that's a long way off...everyone has to get face cages and they're like...$70.

BTW do you train in kamas, too? Looks like that's what you're holding in your avatar.

If you're looking for effective weapons training, I hear arnis (filipino stickfighting) is good. If you're ever trapped in a lumberyard somewhere it should be useful :D

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

The nunchaku is not allowed for self-defense or otherwise. It spins at 150 PSI (thats pounds per square inch) and the head (human) breaks at or around 8-10 PSI.

The cops will confiscate the weapon upon site as it is not allowed in any state I know of. If you use it, you will be in serious trouble.

Try a folding or hunting knife, their legal, fast, and deadly....

Corey Minatani

Central Washington University

Student, Dept. of Philosophy