• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts as product of areas

Upon looking for a new style to thrust myself into I began looking at Martial Arts directories for the area. I am interested in doing something that is more the opposite of the bulk of my training and so, having spent the last 10 years doing Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, I have recently desired to start softer styles of Martial Arts. To this extent I have started to train with a Longfist/Mantis guy who has taught me a lot of cool stuff and has really helped me grow not only in the softer style but also in Shorin Ryu which, for those who don't know much about Shorin Ryu, has roots in Shaolin Kung Fu as it is.

On to the main bulk of my dilemma.

As I am moving to Texas in January, I started looking through directories and noticed that Texas is absolutely dominated by Karate. I mean almost across the board. Now, this is not to say that there was no Kung Fu on the list and I'm sure that there are hundred of unlisted schools but the amount of karate being taught is overwhelming! I know that there are programs that allow me to buy their DVDs and film myself doing their program but, while I'm sure that I could do that and learn a system with some success, I prefer classroom settings.

Anyway, my question is this: Has anyone else run into this? That is to say, is your area dominated by a certain kind of Martial Art or is it fairly mixed between Karate and Kung Fu?

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There aren't very many kung fu places around here, either. I feel like the vast majority of schools that advertise around here are Kenpo karate or TKD, although now a lot of schools are starting to call themselves MMA or just "Martial Arts". There are things other than karate, like my judo class, and an aikido class I found a few towns over, but they're harder to find.

It is. In my area TKD is dominant, with a few low level BJJ schools within a 50km radius of home.

Because of my love for Kyokushin I travel over 2 hrs to get to my dojo 3 times a week.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Where I live...TKD is dominant. Yes, there are one or two BJJ schools, and a sprinkle of Japanese Karate dojo's, alas, no Okinawa Karate within 20 mile radius.

Traveling to ones preferred school of the MA is a good thing for that MAist so that they can get what they need in their training. I'm for it and I support it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I was lucky to find an Okinawan school really. Shotokan and TKD rule the are I'm moving to, which happens to be the are I grew up and first took Martial Arts in. My family new a guy from church who trained under Al Gagne (who trained under James Coffman who trained under Fusei Kise and so forth). He mentioned starting a school so my family got into it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Many schools use the term KARATE in advertising because it is more recognizable and most people call any martial art "karate" so it is hard to tell from a directory what style they truly are unless they specifically state. This is the case in my area-everything is advertised as "karate" or "martial arts" not TKD, Ju Jitsu, etc.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Many schools use the term KARATE in advertising because it is more recognizable and most people call any martial art "karate" so it is hard to tell from a directory what style they truly are unless they specifically state. This is the case in my area-everything is advertised as "karate" or "martial arts" not TKD, Ju Jitsu, etc.

8)

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes I find it's very akin to areas.

I studied Wado Ryu for 4 years because I couldn't find a GojuRyu Dojo (I'm not regretting my experience of WadoRyu as I learnt a lot but this was only 1 of 4 Wado Dojo's in my area. It's predominantly Shukokai/ShitoRyu and Shotokan karate with loads of Tang Soo Do schools about too.

One art that I would love to have studied is Hapkido, nearest school is 150 miles away.

Happy with Ashihara Karate although again nearest is 3-4 hours away

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Where I'm from it's a limited pick if you can't travel a good distance. PitbullJudoka drives about 2 hrs once a week for his BJJ training.

When I started training there were 3 schools in under an hour's drive. Matsubayashi Ryu, Shotokan (not what I've found to be the average school for that style) and Aikidokai Karate (an American style of karate home based out of Texas I believe). And that was it.

An hour to the north was Judo and a couple of TKD places. Another half hour on, Hapkido, and two hrs south Goju, tons and tons of TKD and Issinryu (Wheeler). As a teenager, that kind of travel a couple of times a week wasn't practical or affordable. Now with kids, work, bills and $3+ a gallon gas, it still isn't. I guess that makes us products of our environment when it comes to training.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Zaine to find the quality of school you are seeking you may have to put the miles in as I do. I have traveled as much as 2 hrs one way to train with my BJJ instructor. Also with this being said I have BJJ schools closer in distance and travel time that I could be attending but I don't feel they have the quality environment and instructors that I have. Also the level of training partners makes a difference in your progression. I was unsure about the traveling to a new school but I quickly became a part of the family. Also my instructor knows that with life I can only make the trip to the school once a week and on the rare occasion twice. But you'd be surprised on what you can pick up on a one day a week training session.

Just dig deep and ask the locals once you get there on places to train you never know you may run into that one guy that knows about a place that will be exactly what you're looking for.