• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2013 Martial Arts Goals

Back by popular demand, it's our goal list for next year. Call 'em here. I'll be back after some thought.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodness. I think my goal this coming year is going to be "learn to relax and have patience with, and compassion for, myself!"

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

My personal martial arts goals for the coming year are:

1. Compete in my first amateur MMA bout

2. Test for Ikkyu (and pass, ideally! :P)

3. Make it to more seminars

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

In keeping with the SMART philosophy (goals must be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and completed within a certain Timeframe), mine are:

1. Successfully grade for brown belt

2. Go to master camp and attend all required and optional trainings

3. Compete in a minimum of two tournaments, at least one of which will be after goal #1 which means free sparring for kumite (less terrified of this than I used to be, but still have a ways to go)

4. Learn* all 15 of the kata required for Shodan (currently pretty solid on 7, 80% on 4, and haven't started the remainder)

* defined as being able to do the entire kata from beginning to end on my own time with no prompting, not necessarily proficient to grading standard

1. Start in a new system

2. Ideally test twice

3. Get more in shape

4. Have some new weapon proficiency under my belt

Those seem like some good MA resolutions. Gonna kill it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

After some contemplation, here we go:

1) Maintain a 3x/week training schedule on the mats on average.

2) Compete in 2-3 tournaments this year

2a) One being the Pans

2b) Medal in any one of the tournaments I compete in

3) Compete a good training camp in prep for the Pans in March.

4) Work on stand up at least once/ month outside of my 5 week block of control tactics block mid-year. Preferably sparring or situational training. This is something I've been negligent on since my immersion in BJJ.

5) Attend 2 JKD/Kali seminars. I've got more of an opportunity to do this now and I need to follow up with it.

6) 1-2 stripes on the brown belt.

I'm just gonna put it on here 'cause I'm still really interested. We'll see how the timing works.

6) Take up iaido. I think this is a longshot based on my time commitments. But it's still a goal.

Okay, missed out on posting in last years because, well I'm me. Here goes.

1: Train for and successfully complete my next grading in the spring.

2: Continue breaking down kata for application. Targets this year, Naihanchi ich, Rohai as my personal focus.

3: Implement a consistent resistance training program, body weight and kettle bell driven, with a focus toward core and gripping strength.

4: Get back on my cardio. I've dropped most of my runs and those will get back to at least 3 a week of 2 miles or more. Add more training specific cardio, tabata based, work as well.

5: Compete in another BJJ tourney.

5(b): Work on my bjj.

Goals for the dojo (Feel compelled to post this since I spend so much time teaching)

1: Hold(act as host and attend myself) 2 seminars at the dojo, ideally 3 (one BJJ, one striking, one Judo/throwing).

2: Test one of our students for shodan, another for brown belt

3: Take my kids class to a tourney (and not lose my mind)

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

1. Get my brown belt in Isshinryu.

2. Don't lose sight of the basics in light of practicing new material-- keep up solid practice of my basic kata and techniques.

3. Continue researching history/theory/etc.

4. Keep up Judo for at least a year.

5. Make sure to continue training in the summer once I'm working those 70 hour weeks again. I always tend to let my training fall by the wayside when my summer job gets going. I don't want to do that this year.

6. Grok on.

Go to church more than I do

Get 10 more students training regular

Open new Dojo location with new students

Get knee surgery and be fit within 12 weeks.

Get to GoKyu in Kodokan Judo.

Grade 2 more candidates to Shodan

And be a good husband & father

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Get more ripped up (i want my 6 pack back!!!)

Amp up training, including resistance, strength, endurance and general MA technique.

Complete a 40-man Kumite.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."