• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What comes to mind when people hear the term Japanese Jujutsu?

As I was brought up through the ranks, it was simply a memorization of techniques and being able to apply them on unwilling or unwitting opponents.

As I have taken over my instructor's school, I have come to grapple with methods of organizations, instruction, and extrapolation. I understand that my capabilities are obviously limited based upon my own experiences, however, as I have come to train and study, I have noticed that it is necessary to break away from the curricula only after students understand a technique in a principle manner.

Thus most of the techniques contain multiple components which, taken as a whole, comprises almost half the class being taken over by explanation and demonstration.

Since Japanese Jujutsu contains striking, joint manipulation, throws, pins and locks, et all...

How do you think one would go about teaching and internalizing these concepts and techniques?

Simply breaking them down? Ala, Ogoshi, Seio Nage, Ude Gatame, Ude Garami, etc...

It's a difficult manner, in my opinion, as Japanese Jujutsu does not adhere to a single main concept (i.e. throws, ground fighting, submission). What should instruction on Jujutsu begin with (Ukemi, aside)?

Academy of Kempo-Karate Shin Dojo Program Director

Iaido, Nidan

Karatedo, Nidan

Jujutsu, Shodan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of a strategy of

-Strike to create reactions, or block/parry the opening attack, then manipulate the joint, pin, or throw/ground as available to get the arrest-

JJJ was, after all, built up as a police art iirc. I'd think you are trying to use a lot of tools to work toward an arrest/control position - so for each chain, start with anything that locks down an opponent, then work your way back through blocks, striking, etc. to build up "how to get there".

...but then again, my JJJ experience is negligible, so I might be completely off on this. But you asked what I think of.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'd say JusticeZero is pretty close. In our Combat Hapkido, we do strikes to distract, then move into the manipulation, and finish with a lock or strike. We have set curriculum per rank. The first rank does some strikes, like jab, cross, or palm strikes, and a front kick (if memory serves me well). There are some breakaways, and then some wrist lock takedowns. Rolling and breakfalls are also included.

The key to it is identifying what are the very basics of what you do, and start with them, and then build everything from them.

• 2 months later...

The system of jujitsu I learned began with basic stance work, footwork, fundamental strikes, practice in kazushi, standing joint locks (wrist locks and elbow locks), and a couple basic throws. As you go through the ranks, you learn more techniques. By Shodan we were using ken, tanbo, bo, 40 throws, 40 ippon kumite, a working knowledge of pins, chokes, and joint manipulations from the ground.

But, as Kusotare mentions, there was a progression based on grade. This was set by the organization under which we trained. Now I will say that, to my knowledge, Mugai Ryu is older than the systems I trained (Yagu Ryu and Daito Ryu). So the curriculum may not be as clearly defined.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Mugai-ryu isn't known for its Jujutsu as far as I am aware. It's a sword ryu.

Are you referring to the Jujutsu that you perhaps do with the Shindokai Jujutsu group?

I'm not familair with the group.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• 3 weeks later...

I truly enjoyed studying jujutsu.

alot of people think bjj is better, and for the competition it is.

Real jujutsu is really beautiful, direct yet circular.

Minimum effort, maximum efficiency as my sensei used to say.

every technique dictated by the direction your opponent is moving in and their position.

Bjj is cool, but not much more cool then wrestling.

if your goal is submission, - then its BJJ, if its destruction, its Japanese jujutsu

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

In my Jujutsu class, we would work on throws, jointlocks, strikes, chokes,mat holds, maybe some grappling, then at the end, we would do goshen jutsu and put them together in a complete self defense techniques through to a finish (as opposed to a submission).

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Japanese Jiujitsu is eventually a great technique of Martial Art. I would say that this is a great Japanese technique for self defense. This technique manipulating the opposition force towards us. In this time Jiu-jitsu is practice for traditional and modern sport.

jiu-jitsu moves

Japanese Jiujitsu is eventually a great technique of Martial Art. I would say that this is a great Japanese technique for self defense. This technique manipulating the opposition force towards us. In this time Jiu-jitsu is practice for traditional and modern sport.
Did you ever mention what style and lineage you had studied? What tactics does your school prefer?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia