Epyon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the information you've given now, I would say it is definitely not a McDojo. You are paying about $24 USD per month for your training, while the average in the US is $120 USD--I don't know what the rates are, typically, in the Netherlands, but you are getting very affordable training. Paying a testing fee is not unusual, since the tests are typically not normal class times and the instructors do need to be paid for participating, but the fees should not cost more than your monthly tuition.

As far as gloves go, you really should embrace the idea of sparring with them, because they are a good idea. If you insist that you only want to spar without gloves then you should try Kyokushin instead.

Oh yes, it's affordable, I just wanted to know if that would be much or not for karate, since I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'll embrace the idea of gloves, because I like doing what I'm doing. I just started to wonder because I saw all these video's without gloves. The video I posted of those Germans is without gloves and shotokan and not kyokushin, right?

Welcome to the forums Epyon.

Honestly, your dojo doesn't sound like a McDojo at all.

18 euro/month is very affordable and seems to be a lot cheaper than you'd pay in the US (or UK). From what you've described, the grading schedule seems pretty normal and 5 years to 1st kyu is again a typical time length.

With regards to the gloves, lots of schools and styles will wear them. They are there to protect you and your partner during training. They allow you to make contact in a safe way. In the video you posted, I'm not sure what the rules are but the fighters are not really punching full contact and definitely not punching full contact to the head. So it's really a choice between semi/light contact without gloves, or heavier contact with gloves. And especially if you are a beginner, gloves are more likely until you start to develop better control.

As far as splitting the classes up into grades, that's pretty common too in a lot of schools. It allows the sensei to teach certain things to certain levels and you get more focused training.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

the average in the US is $120 USD

This has not been my experience. Is that a McDojo price?

I haven't come across a single karate dojo anywhere I have lived (except garage dojos) that charges less than $100 a month, McDojo or not, and other martial arts change that average. If I account for judo schools then the average drops because you can find that for $30-$60 a month (when it isn't a free program), and if I account for BJJ or MMA gyms then the average rises because I have seen that anywhere from $100 to $250 a month.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to the forums Epyon.

Honestly, your dojo doesn't sound like a McDojo at all.

18 euro/month is very affordable and seems to be a lot cheaper than you'd pay in the US (or UK). From what you've described, the grading schedule seems pretty normal and 5 years to 1st kyu is again a typical time length.

With regards to the gloves, lots of schools and styles will wear them. They are there to protect you and your partner during training. They allow you to make contact in a safe way. In the video you posted, I'm not sure what the rules are but the fighters are not really punching full contact and definitely not punching full contact to the head. So it's really a choice between semi/light contact without gloves, or heavier contact with gloves. And especially if you are a beginner, gloves are more likely until you start to develop better control.

As far as splitting the classes up into grades, that's pretty common too in a lot of schools. It allows the sensei to teach certain things to certain levels and you get more focused training.

Totally agree with this post I read this and couldn't really add any more.

Read some of the threads on McDojos, and you'll see none of the criteria will match your high standards.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Goede dag, darksoul. Dutch?

Nee, maar mijn vrouw komt uit 's-Hertogenbosch en ik leer het voor haar. :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

the average in the US is $120 USD

This has not been my experience. Is that a McDojo price?

I haven't come across a single karate dojo anywhere I have lived (except garage dojos) that charges less than $100 a month, McDojo or not, and other martial arts change that average. If I account for judo schools then the average drops because you can find that for $30-$60 a month (when it isn't a free program), and if I account for BJJ or MMA gyms then the average rises because I have seen that anywhere from $100 to $250 a month.

I can't say that I've seen this but to be fair it's been awhile since I've gone to an official dojo. That being said I think I was being charged 25 when I lived in Texas for the place I went to. Other place charged 60.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't think the use of safety equipment should send up red flags. Many schools have insurance coverage, and along with that may come certain requirements for sparring protection. The first thing you should look at is the quality of the students from low to high rank, see if there are improvements, and things like this. It can be tough for a beginner, but if you do a bit more research (and not just on how the Japanese do things), you'll find the answers you are looking for.