• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin-Ryu Karate

MAMom78

I have tried to do some research about this style, and I'm not finding much. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? I'd like to know which kata are practiced, how many usually are learned by black belt. Also, stances seem to be more narrow, and punches are vertical? Just curious as to why a vertical punch?

Are there any other styles that throw a vertical punch? Thanks in advance!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin-Ryu karate is an Okinawan system and, if I'm not mistaken, hold a lot of the same forms that other Okinawan systems do, the difference being in technique, flow and power. It is considered softer than other Okinawan systems but this is just a technical thing. The vertical punches are called shorinji punches. Matsumura punches being horizontal the should employ both.

To warn you, I know some of this second hand and there is a not a little induction going on for my part. If you're curious I would go to which ever school has it and talk to the instructor there, they will be able to answer all your questions and more.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I've found surprisingly little about Isshinryu myself-- especially compared to the wealth of information about other styles. There aren't very many books or websites just dedicated to information about the system.

Some of the reasons behind the vertical punch are that it's generally faster to throw and faster to turn into multiple strike combinations--which Isshinryu is very big on. It's also a more natural strike for a human and very versatile and adaptable being powerful at many different angles.

The stances tend to be more natural, balanced stances with the goal being making it easy to move quickly in any direction.

The empty hand kata of Isshinryu are Seisan, Seiunchin, Naihanchi, Wansu, Chinto, Kusanku, Sunsu and Sanchin. An Isshinryu practitioner will generally learn all of those by the time they reach black belt.

We also have several weapons kata for bo, sai and tonfa as well as a two person kata for bo and two person for sai, but when those are taught varies greatly. From what I've read online, it seems common to start the weapons kata during brown belt studies, but not really get into them until black belt. But of course, it varies greatly. My instructor also teaches a bunch of non-Isshinryu kata to prepare for and build upon the Isshinryu kata, so I'll have about 15 kata by the time I test for black belt, but we're weird. The norm for shodan seems to be the 8 empty hand kata and maybe two weapons kata.

This site might help you in your research as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isshin-ry%C5%AB+

Please look at the very bottom of the page of the link above, especially at the "See also" and "References", click on the other included links as well and see what happens.

Good luck in your research.

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you! I am going to check both sites out. I am looking into isshin-ryu as a style that I may want to learn, but wanted some insight about the vertical fist. Also have heard that stances are not as deep as other styles.

They do the vertical fist because that's what they do. A vertical fist works well up close to slip inside someone's guard, but lacks the power at fuller extension that a horizontal fist has. I doubt they would keep this if they typically sparred with more contact. Light contact allows a lot of theoretical stuff to survive.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'm not bad mouthing the style, but like anything, Isshin Ryu has some bad instructors, especially in the Pacific NorthWest area of the USA...but guys like Mady are great IsshinRyu stylists...and Mady is also a yondan in Kyokushin, too.

I'm not a fan of the vertical fist and any Isshin Ryu practitioner that has fought knockdown karate, kickboxing, MT rules, etc...doesn't use it, that I have ever seen, anyway.

• 3 months later...

All styles have their advantages and disadvantages. The vertical punch is very fast and while it may lack power at full extension, it's powerful in close quarters where the corkscrew type punch lacks power. Personally, I think everyone should find the style that best suits them. Some people don't have the flexibility and might want to avoid styles with high kicks. Etc. I like Isshin ryu. Cross training is also beneficial no matter what styles you choose. Most importantly, make sure you enjoy it, and don't end up in a mc dojo

Blue belt -Isshin Ryu

Isshin Ryu is an Okinawan style that was developed post WWII. They have, relatively, few kata when compared to other systems. The pinan/heian series is not taught. Instead they teach about 5 "higher level" kata between white and black. It's not uncommon to train one kata for several ranks.

They are also known for their vertical fist. THEY BELIEVE that the structure of the arm is more properly lined up when using a vertical fist, thus allowing a better transfer of energy when striking.

Isshin Ryu also has several weapon forms that are learned. Generally, a higher emphasis is put on weapons (especially in Dan ranks) than in other arts.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."