• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At what rank should someone purchase a heavy weight gi?

I definitely prefer a heavyweight gi, and have worn one since I got one for Christmas in 2006 at the rank of blue belt (Rokkyu). I like the way it feels and because of my build I look sickly wearing lighter weight uniforms because of how they hang off me, so I also like the way the heavyweight ones look. The weight of the fabric your uniform is made of is entirely personal preference, tempered with some practicality (if you don't know how much longer you're going to be training, it doesn't make sense to drop $140 on a heavyweight gi) so don't worry about the "proper rank" to wear one. Also, don't get too wrapped up in the "traditional" factor of the gi--the karate gi as we know it isn't very old, and for most of Okinawan martial arts history training was done shirtless wearing underwear or shorts.

Edited by Wastelander

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my heavy weight at purple belt soooo... up to you really.

I currently use a 14oz top with 10oz pants.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I got my first 10oz (is that middle weight?) as a shodan, because it felt right. I was teaching a lot and wanted to represent the art well. (Plus it feels good).

It took me about three years to get from white-black. IMHO, that was too fast, but then again, that's why I took my training into my own hands.

(insert rant on 'obedience-based-ranks vs skill-based-ranks' here)

Average is 3-5 years, from what I see.

Buddha is not on the mountain, man.

No sooner than Sankyu. Why? Students have many other things to worry about than dragging around a heavy gi, not alone a heavy gi made more heavier with sweat.

No, Jukyu through Yonkyu...wear a light gi for the time being.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I haven't really used heavyweight gis enough to give a good opinion. As far as rank goes, I used a lightweight for my first 4 or so ranks, and then switched to middleweight for black belt up. I have recently started some Hawaiian jujitsu (Danzan ryu), and purchased a BJJ Uniform, and I wear that when my other uniforms are MIA or dirty.

I was awarded my black belt about a month into my fifth year.

Van

• 4 months later...

I think around 5th Kyu myself, but may be later for kids below 12 yrs.

Kicking and punching should start to give a satisfying "snap" and throwing techniques/holds can be done without ripping those flimsy ties!

:)

Mark

Turns to black, fades to white.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say that whenever you're sure that its something you're planning on pursueing.

I've only been training a year, but my lightweight was beginning to hang, so I upgraded to a 14oz heavyweight Gi.

Wado

at my dojo we can get one at blue belt (4th rank up) basically when they think you're serious about it I guess. I need to get there quickly before I wear a hole in these pants. lol

"I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace,I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth... Ally to good! nightmare to you!"

• 2 months later...

:-? huh! :-?

Seriously not sure I follow the thinking here!

(not picking a fight or poking fun...just confused I guess!)

Grade = Heavy GI...

erm..what? pardon? Why?

The GI being heavy or light etc is to my mind down to the person, there comfort there confidence, there 'feeling' when fighting is all that is important!

A GI was, back in ancient times, merely training attire. Then later badges to display your affiliation or family were incorporated.

I've always worn a heavy GIs from day one as a 'White' belt. Once I tried a 'light' GI and all but ripped it off after one lesson.

It stuck to me like glue ..I could hardly move in it! Ggrrrrrr :kaioken:

Then as now the GI I ware is whatever I choose it to be, the only restrictions is color and advertisement stuff/logos. (as in none)

A GI is white or natural unbleached cotton.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to the 'control' aspect/feeling I get from this question....

grade = heavy Gi ...sorry sounds like the control nuts have taken on a little more control than appreciable benefit here.(If any to honest)

The student alone is important, if they feel restricted, hampered they should be allowed to change as needed.

It is there face or ribs or pick a body part that is important, right?

So long as the GI is smart, tidy, the same cut etc, the fact it is light or heavy or what ever really has no value here surely?

:-?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.