• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At what rank should someone purchase a heavy weight gi?

Hi KF users,

so I just passed my green belt test, and it is starting to look like I need a new gi. I am very traditional and would like to get a heavyweight gi (been using sport ones up until now). Should I get one now, or should I wait until brown/black belt? Also as a side note, how long did it take you guys to reach your black belts?

Ready!!....FIREEEE!!!!... Aim...!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a fan of heavy weight gis. For starters, the hamper on your conditioning and they also are really terrible when it's hot. At your level I would stick with your light weight gi. When I was a 2 kyu/gup I bought a middle weight gi and I really liked that one.

To answer your second question it took me about 5 years.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I just got my first heavyweight gi as a birthday present from hubby, right before my grading for 4th kyu. But I don't really think it matters. If you have trained long enough to feel that you are enjoying it and committing to martial arts on a long term basis, and are comfortable with the expense, then go for it. I like the way the lightweight one FEELS, but prefer the way the heavyweight one LOOKS. So I wear both of mine now, just depending on where I am in the laundry cycle and what mood I'm in. :lol:

I third the middleweight gi. Heavyweight is way too hot and heavy for most people for everyday use, and although I like how easy it is to move in my lightweight, I don't like that it's all see through, doesn't hang right, and doesn't have that snap. Middleweight is the best of both worlds.

I got my first Iron Man when i hit 3rd Kyu. I'd gone through a couple of standard weight gis at that point. That was in 95' and I finally had to give up on the jacket this year. I've got two heavy weight gis in my rotation right now. If you're serious about training a heavy weight gi is never a mistake.

My shodan took just over 3 years with a ton of outside training to get there.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The weight of the gi you get shouldn't have any bearing on rank. If you want to try a heavy weight gi, then do so. Its more about personal preference than rank.