• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I sat on a testing panel again tonight (11/28/2012). There were 2 white belts, 4 green belts, and 1 brown belt testing. They all did pretty well, for the most part. A couple of the green belt kids needed to shake some things out a bit more, but overall, not a bad testing.

And just to show how much I've really been missing out on, we've got a total of 4 students that are preparing to test for the 3rd dan ranks in December. So, I've got to get on the ball now so I can get ready to test for my 4th dan. Time to kick it up!

These 3rd dan testers were doing just a sample of what they will have to do at the HQ school to test. They did Gae Baek and Se Jong hyungs, and each had to do one of their required board breaks for the testing. There were some hits and some misses, but I think it was good, because it gave them all kind of an eye-opener as to what to get ready for. The changes in the board breaks between 2nd dan and 3rd dan testing jump up a bit. At 3rd dan, we are required to do a jumping technique, a spinning technique, a hand technique, and a flying side kick over obstacles. When I tested for 3rd dan, I did 4 different kicking techniques, and they left the hand techniques out, but at 4th, I'm likely to have a hand technique in there, too.

So, congrats to all our colored belts, and good luck to our upcoming 3rd dan candidates!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Excellent write up, Good look on your Black & Red belt Master Grading.

I think 3rd Dan is definately the biggest stepping stone of all. It takes the most "change" in the martial artist and the requirements are Mental and Physical.

Excellent on the Gup grades too. its good to have students grade within the structure of the school.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Sounds like a good testing. We've got some 1st and 2nd dan blackbelt candidates testing today and tomorrow at an area grading.

At 3rd dan, we are required to do a jumping technique, a spinning technique, a hand technique, and a flying side kick over obstacles. When I tested for 3rd dan, I did 4 different kicking techniques, and they left the hand techniques out, but at 4th, I'm likely to have a hand technique in there, too.

Are there set breaks or can you pick your own as long as there's a jumping one, a spinning one etc.? In our org we have to demonstrate both hand and leg breaks; one of which has to be a power break and one has to be a "special" break (something jumping/flying or just difficult to do) + whatever else you want to demonstrate. Then on the day the examiners can ask you to do some other ones too if they want.

My 3rd dan breaks were fairly run of the mill stuff because the following week I was due to compete at a big competition and couldn't afford to injure myself. With hindsight I probably should have waited to grade until after. I am eligible to do my 4th dan at our next testing cycle (but I'll most likely wait longer) and when I do it, I've provisionally decided I'm doing a knifehand brick break and I want to try a flying 2-directional split kick...

Good luck to your guys who are testing :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks, Danielle. :) Good luck with your upcoming testing candidates, as well. :karate:

Our breaks are set. There are two sets of breaks, and we pick one to go with. Both include a flying side kick over obstacles, and its been so long now, I don't recall what I did. I think I did spin heel kick, jump front snap kick, back leg round kick (power break/3 boards), and the flying side kick. But the choices are a spinning technique, a jumping technique, a hand technique, and the flying side kick.

The HQ is supposed to be emailing a new list, because there was supposed to be a hand technique, which none did the last time. So, I'll pick then, and let you know what I decide to do.

As an update, our three candidates for 3rd dan tested on 12/8, and it sounds to me that everyone passed. So, we'll have a total of 4 3rd dans in the school, which means it is definitely time for me to test.