• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ: How much time should you give it

I'd like to take up BJJ, and I've found what appear to be some quality schools in my local area. My question is how many nights a week should train to consistently progress in the art? I could probably average two classes a week, considering my work schedule. Would that be enough? For any BJJ practitioners here, how often do you train a week and how long have you been training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Like anything, you'll get more out of BJJ the more time you put in. If your background on the ground is minimal, then even one night a week will slowly give you the tools to fill in gaps that you might have.

That said, two times per week is really about the minimum to progress at any sort of noticeable rate. Three is better, but really lots of people get by on twice a week.

Personally, I get it 3-4 depending. I'll drop to two if there are holidays or work emergencies. Which everyone pretty much agrees happens. Let's face it, very few of us are elite level competitors that go 6x's plus per week.

Two times is fine as long as you're consistent with it. 2x/week every week is MUCH better than 4x/ week for a few weeks then out of the gym altogether for a couple of months.

Let us know what you decide and where you land. BJJ is a fantastic art and I'd strongly encourage you to get involved. Good luck and keep us posted.

tallgeese has provided great answers, I've nothing else to add except this...

BJJ: How much time should you give it

A lifetime!!

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things are going.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Personally, I agree with Sensei8. But not everyone can/will commit that much time. lol

Train as often as possible. But even more important is how you train. Don't allow yourself to be preoccupied by other matters such as work and outside life while you're in the academy. On top of that, work hard and never be afraid to try new moves.

You see, it's no different than any other art. You will get out what you put in.

Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Some is better than none. I can only train one day a week due to the distance to my bjj gym and life in general other than that. I get to take part of a very small class so it's like having private lessons with a partner. But if you can train two or more times a week you'll improve faster than of course someone like myself who can only train once a week. I can't tell great improvements in my game a lot of times but I'm rolling with people who train 2 to 5 times a week, but when something clicks look out. I've trained like this for three and a half years and don't see an end in sight and love every minute I get to train with my bjj team.

It also helps when you are constantly rolling with people more skilled than yourself and make you aware of some of the mistakes you are making and ways to correct them. I get to roll with everything from the average joe to pro fighters. We will tear each others games apart and help fix the holes we have to make ourselves better.

Everyone's given great advise so far. If 2 days is what you can do, do that. Sometimes things change, and you can fit more in, which will be a great bonus. Most of all, enjoy your time training! :karate:

• 4 months later...

Additionally, if you can't make additional class days, its important to do what you can on your own at home. The individual exercises you will be tought such as the shrimp and other drills can all be practiced at home.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.