• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crossed arm chambers and applications

Something I've been contemplating for a while on the hand on top/bottom thing. Those techniques are meant to clear away intervening limbs. The "blocking" hand is supposed to clear the path for the follow up attack. So, in a blocking technique, the blocking hand/arm is on top because it is to emphasis that part of the encounter or point at an application involving joint manipulation. In a striking application, the lead hand is clearing or engaging the limbs to get you a clear attack, thus a little more direct in application. Just a personal thought on the hand positioning.

Don't forget that the "blocking" hand is ALSO suppose to prevent the attacker from re-engaging, thus, the attackers hand(s) are out of position, which stalls the attackers transitions and the like.

:)

Solid.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've been contemplating for a while on the hand on top/bottom thing. Those techniques are meant to clear away intervening limbs. The "blocking" hand is supposed to clear the path for the follow up attack. So, in a blocking technique, the blocking hand/arm is on top because it is to emphasis that part of the encounter or point at an application involving joint manipulation. In a striking application, the lead hand is clearing or engaging the limbs to get you a clear attack, thus a little more direct in application. Just a personal thought on the hand positioning.

Don't forget that the "blocking" hand is ALSO suppose to prevent the attacker from re-engaging, thus, the attackers hand(s) are out of position, which stalls the attackers transitions and the like.

That's why I advocate and teach a mix of positive pressure with the blocking hand and hikate application to set up the strike and then feed into tuite if you want. Combine it with foot work and body positioning and you are golden.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

That's why I advocate and teach a mix of positive pressure with the blocking hand and hikate application to set up the strike and then feed into tuite if you want. Combine it with foot work and body positioning and you are golden.

Absolutely and solid!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

These are good points to consider, as well. Thank you, gentleman.