• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crossed arm chambers and applications

In kyokushin and Arnis we have utilised this as part of self defence techniques. Its interesting the applications that come from this to single hand grabs etc.

I've done brush blocks in Combat Hapkido, but have never done it in TKD. I'd done some parrying style blocking in the past, and in my ATA days we did a "triple pass" that contained a brush follwed immediately by brushing or grabbing action with the other hand, as some secondary Self-Defense training. In Defensive Tactics, my partner and I do a lot of block/pass/pin drills, and in Combat Hapkido we did a brush/trap/strike set, too. Just seeing this still frame in a book showed similarities in the positions for me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday my Sempai explained to me that Juji Uke (x block) is a Gedan Barai and Gedan Zuki strike to the leg at the same time.

Of course I am still sceptical about using 2 hands for blocking a middle-low kick and leaving all your upper body open for attack from your opponent's 2 free hands.

I still really wonder about actually blocking low kicks with the arms. You have to get low to block them, and you are blocking a much stronger limb with a weaker one.

I still really wonder about actually blocking low kicks with the arms. You have to get low to block them, and you are blocking a much stronger limb with a weaker one.

I'd rather break my arm than take a full power kick to the low section. The best defence is not to be there in the first place but if you don't have time to move, better to attempt a block than not to. Also, I don't know about you, but in my school the majority of low blocks move the leg across rather than meeting force with force.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

the other thing is that you don't have to offer a rigid structure as the block; if your limb comes down and contacts the incoming kick, then travels with the kick slowing it on the way, it is more akin to a breakfall than a change of target.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Good points, both of you. A softening motion, so to speak, would work well with some angled footwork.

Danielle, you are right about not meeting force on, with a front kick or a side kick. But a round kick, you really don't have that choice, unless you soften it and move at an angle, like JusticeZero mentioned. Sweeping style blocks, that would catch and lift the leg, I think would be a better option, like some we see in our forms, like Won Hyo and Yoo Sin.

I do start to think that the Thai style leg check is probably one of the better options for low kick defenses.

Well, yes, I would agree that some form of sweep wouid work well; my response to a round kick at that level would be to use cruz to go under it and lift it on the shoulder, or at least esquiva to go under and with it to set something else up. If your torso needs to stay relatively static though, these aren't really options available to you when faced with a kick moving laterally toward your abdomen

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I do start to think that the Thai style leg check is probably one of the better options for low kick defenses.

Aside from the already raised point of not being on the path of the incoming kick to begin with (which is hard in a full contact fight, and sometimes you just have to wear it - see competition Muay Thai and Kyokushin fights for examples) I agree that the knee/shin block is a better option. I rarely drop my hands below my chest in sparring.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Good points, both of you. A softening motion, so to speak, would work well with some angled footwork.

Danielle, you are right about not meeting force on, with a front kick or a side kick. But a round kick, you really don't have that choice, unless you soften it and move at an angle, like JusticeZero mentioned. Sweeping style blocks, that would catch and lift the leg, I think would be a better option, like some we see in our forms, like Won Hyo and Yoo Sin.

I agree. Your best bet with a roundhouse, if you intend to block it rather than move, would probably be to knock it upwards. Lifting the leg somewhat redirects the kick and has the added bonus of knocking the opponent off balance too. Like the dollimyo makgi from Won Hyo or duro makgi from Yoo Sin. There are also some instances of assisted blocks that may be an option; blocks where the other hand and arm brace the blocking arm. But I wouldn't use those unless absolutely necessary.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The mid-level round kick is a touchy thing to deal with in regards to martial theory. In my view, and experience, it's best to deal with the mid-level threat with the elbows and forearms near the bend of the elbow. This makes the contact surface on your end either the rigid structure of the elbow or the supported portion of the forearm within the first couple of inches of the elbow. This is much less likely to cause injury than a blocking motion of any kind near the hand where the bones are thinner and there's no support.

This also lets you keep your hands up to protect the face. If they are there, then the elbows kind of naturally fall into posture to cover the mid section. I agree, the legs cover low line threats. Either the leg (thai cover) or the groin (Okinawan sanchin stance footwork).

Footwork is the last component here. Yes, it's best to not be there. However, as said, things happen. You're footwork can indeed still support the block. A slide away during impact at distance will lessen the force transmission. By moving into the threat as it comes in, one can "jam" the kick prior to it's most powerful portion of the arc.

That still takes up back to what the X motion is. I'm pretty certain it's not intended to be a block. At least not a two hands committed to a single attack kind of thing. More likely, it's a lead into a joint manipulation or a portion weapons defense showing contact portion of the arm. That's the thing with old kata, there are rarely contiguous tactics. Often, it's piecemeal reminders of an overall movement.