• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Judo Next Week!

Mat burn on your toes and raw fingers are the marks of a grappler. I kept the skin rolled off the tips of my fingers while we were doing ground work only in prep for the BJJ tourney in September. Hang in there Lupin, I think you'll really enjoy Judo.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mat burn will lessen over time as your skin builds caliuses. Your hands will follow suit. But you'll still be able to tell a really good class afterwards by the tips of you fingers either being sore or the tips will look like they've been peeled.

Sounds like you found a good school that teaches the entire judo ciriculem that includes the ground work too. Enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Judo is not about ground work or newaza specifically. As a matter of fact my school only does a lot of ground work because a) its a good addition and b) we have a very competitive and rather less than honorable bjj guys in town.

If you take a look at judo online, if you transition into newaza for a shiai you generally have 3-5 seconds to get into something before they call mate and stand you up. (Which IS a shame...)

As for judo helping with karate, its possible... but to the karate guys it won't be viewed as helpful except in a shiai... or randori where you learn better body mechanics...

Any who good luck on your judo adventure! Stick with it and I might meet you in Denver or Chicago sometime ;)

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

Sounds like you are enjoying it. I definately recommend sticking with it. The mat burns DO eventually lessen, and if it gets too bad you can always tape your fingers and toes. :D

As far as groundwork goes, at my particular club we do a lot of it because we have some BJJ guys in town who some of our tournaments and our head coach belives in being prepared.

The actual RULE on groundwork in Judo contests is that Matte should be called when any evidence of "No Progress" or stalling is seen.

The rules were writtent to favor the standing grappler.

In practice, it depends on the referee. I have seen local referees that let people roll on the ground for quite some time and there is at least one Olympic level A that will call Matte as soon as the action goes in to groundwork.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

Can I just say-- the month of ukemi drills really paid off today. I foolishly stood on my swivel chair to try to hang something up by the ceiling. When I went to push the stapler in, the chair went spinning and I fell off hitting the tv stand and taking the tv down on top of me. Landed nicely on my back with a good slap. Would've been a softer landing if I wasn't holding my breath, but for falling so suddenly from a height, spinning, hitting something, and landing on a hard floor, I'm impressed with how little it hurt. That was like an hour ago and the only thing that hurts is the wrist the tv landed on.

Thanks, Judo!

Excellent. And now you know the point of drilling Ukemi Waza to the point where it becomes second nature.

A large number of higher level practitioners should take this to heart and remember to include Ukemi practice in to each class.

Thank you for sharing with us Lupin.

• 2 months later...
While judo is a sport it can be used for self defense. A Judo throw will hurt some one but the Judo person must either catch the attacker off guard or be faster.

Street styles like Kung Fu San Soo are better at defending oneself.

Sweeping generalizations typically don't hold a lot of merit.

In many military combatives programs worldwide, Judo has been a strong influence. And for good reason.

I would consider this as an ideal idea to joining Judo training. To, train under Judo expert can be precious for you because, it needs great physical strength. So, starting judo training is eventually good for you and practicing Judo could be effective workout for you as well.

jiu-jitsu moves

I would consider this as an ideal idea to joining Judo training. To, train under Judo expert can be precious for you because, it needs great physical strength. So, starting judo training is eventually good for you and practicing Judo could be effective workout for you as well.

Judo does not so much NEED great physical strength as it DEVELOPS it over time.

Shiai players, and even Kata players, who compte, are athletes, and like any athlete they will develope a great deal of strength in certain muscle groups. Now Judo in particular is a style of wrestling so you will see more of a wrestlers physique on competitive players.

That being said, the TECHNIQUES of Judo are designed to make maximum use of the strength you do have and to allow you to overcome a larger, stronger opponent. But if you practice long enough and often enough you won't NECESSARILY be the weaker one anymore.