• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self training - your advise?

dave3006

I've found different youtube channels to do workouts from, and they've been great for me. I've got a standing bag at home, so I can either do some free kicking, or work the bag, or mix it up. Its great for me, because at times I'm not very creative. I also get to look at how others do things differently, and how I can change things up a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shodan/black belt means serious beginner. Even though there is no school near you, it is a good idea to visit a school that is closest even if once per month. As a shodan, you have the tools and eventually you become your own teacher. I on the other hand combine my training doing kata at every training session. I kick every day of my life, morning and night. Kihons daily, with running and going to the gym twice per week. Often times we think our training must be intense and long. Throw 5-10 kicks each side twice per day for at least 6 days a week. Your body will do what it is used to, like writing, driving a car, you want to train daily. A few punches per day with blocks and kicks goes a long way. My training schedule for the week: In addition to daily kicks, punches and blocks mentioned above is 3 days per week, mon, we'd and Friday or tues, Thursday and Saturday am prior to work go to the park a few kilometers from my house. Warm up upper and lower body. Then basics. Punching both sides, blocks, kicks,...Mae Geri, mawashi, yoko Geri keno I and league. Then 6 katas. Heian one totekki shodan. Then run about a mile, push ups and home. This usually takes me 45 minutes. Next time repeat. Once training like this for a month or so change one kata at a time, still 6 katas. Shotokan has 26 katas and advanced ones that we all have done less, should be a focal point of one per week, then two with some heians. You are the instructor of you for now. Then visit a dojo regularly, even if once per month or every 6 weeks. You will progress nicely. Remember karate is yours, it is in you and you are in karate. Train train train. That is the secret.

SP Sarasota/Bradenton Florida USA,

Train for life. Teach with passion and love.