• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self training - your advise?

dave3006

I have a shodan in Shotokan Karate. I received it in 1995. Not too long afterwards, I left Shotokan and started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I ended up getting my black belt.

To make a long story short, I stopped Jiu Jitsu a few months ago and would like to start training again Shotokan. The only problem is that I do not have anywhere close to train.

In your opinion, do you think self training would be a waste of time? My thought is to train kata 2 days a week, kihon 2 days a week, and bag work 2 days a week. I currently run 5 miles a day. I plan to continue to do this.

My concerns are that I would not have any outside input on my technique and it would be easy to build bad habits. I am also concerned that without a formal class structure and a good instructor, motivation might suffer.

What do you think? I know it is not perfect. Do you think it is worthwhile?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a shodan and a BJJ black belt. You have already been taught all of the things you should avoid, what correct form is, and such.

Because you have a solid background already, self train to your heart's content; it will not be as useful as training with other people, as you have noted, but the "bad habits" a shodan will develop are going to more properly be described as 'adjusting things to your own style' and deviation away from standard Shotokan practices in favor of individualistic development, rather than the dangers of bad form which we warn new students of. Find people to trade notes with and train beside on occasion as best you can, at the least.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Personally I think you treated Shodan as the end point not the beginning. Switching styles every few years isn't good. Will you when you get your Nidan drop Shotokan and go back to BJJ?

Self training I've not met anyone yet who doesn't train at home. Because its been so long since you trained in Shotokan I'd find the nearest Dojo and ask if they do any seminars you could attend to make sure what you practice is correct.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I did not treat Shodan as the end point. I understand that a Shodan just means you understand the basics. It doesn't mean "you have arrived".

I spent 8 years training Shotokan. I received my black belt from Sensei Nishiyama. I changed to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for reasons that had nothing to do with Shotokan. I have spent over a decade at BJJ and trained with several Gracies (including Rickson) and earned a black belt. These are significant achievements over long periods of time. They hardly make me a flake. I personally think I am a better, more rounded martial artist as a result.

Now, I want to train Shotokan again. There is nothing wrong with that.

I think you are making a good decision. I'd agree that you should try to find some other Shotokan training with others, but you seem to already be trying to do that. Maybe now and then you can slip off to another city and pay a mat fee at a school there or some such thing, maybe over a weekend every few months just to touch base and stay in touch with the rest of the art.

Also, in doing so you would put yourself under someone with a bit more of a role in Shotokan than you would hold with a shodan; after helping you to touch up a few things they might decide you are able enough, and advise you to work with a study group in your area.

You will be fine with self training during this period of not having others to train with; you already have enough understanding of the material to be able to self-correct and to cover the whole base library of technique.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I did not treat Shodan as the end point. I understand that a Shodan just means you understand the basics. It doesn't mean "you have arrived".

I spent 8 years training Shotokan. I received my black belt from Sensei Nishiyama. I changed to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for reasons that had nothing to do with Shotokan. I have spent over a decade at BJJ and trained with several Gracies (including Rickson) and earned a black belt. These are significant achievements over long periods of time. They hardly make me a flake. I personally think I am a better, more rounded martial artist as a result.

Now, I want to train Shotokan again. There is nothing wrong with that.

Dave, I'm glad you have genuine reasons, you must agree at first glance, what your thread can be perceived as hence why I responded to the change, then offered assistance.

What I would love to know is was there never a chance to train in both Shotokan AND BJJ at the same time. As I just don't want you to loose all that knowledge you've gained from all your hard work, pain, sacrifice, blood sweat and tears that got you both Blackbelts

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thanks. Dobbersky, you are right. I can see how you would have got the impression you did.

My experience with BJJ is that you need to be on the mat 4 times per week to be on top of your game. And, when I trained Shotokan, I would go to class 2-3 days a week and self train every single day kata, kihon, or bag.

For me, it would be difficult to do both the right way at the same time. I miss the "martial art" part of karate.

BJJ has become a lot like judo in the sense that the focus is constantly on sport tournaments. It has also become watered down for the purpose of gaining new students and making money. Ground fighting is great for dueling (two willing participants in a cage). It is not the last word on fighting skills.

Dave, I just thought, if there's a Daiko Juku "Kudo" Dojo near you, you could have both in the same place.

Kudo is a mixture of Kyokushin & Judo

Are the Kyokushin people the ones that spar and don't allow punches to the head? I trained like that one sparring session. I quickly decided that I would be better off staying home. Not defending your head could be a habit that would get you killed on the street.

Kyokushin seems to be the antithesis of Shotokan. Shotokan trains with the ideal of ending the encounter in one blow. Kyokushin guys just pound on each other in a war of attrition.

One of my complaints of Shotokan is that they do not stress attacking the opponents vitals enough. Kyokushin takes this flaw to a new level.