• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Naming your weapons

MasterPain

I am a firm believer that a rifle should have a female name for reasons only Gunnery Sergeant Hartman should be able to explain.

:D :D :D

Agreed, and for the record, unless I have an esoterical Japanese name for them (as I do for my katana), they usually end up with female names.

I name my weapons, always have. There was never a reason, just a sentimental thing. In the long run I respect the weapon more. As humans we grow attached to things we name and therefore attempt to take more care of them.

^^^ THIS!

I am the same, all of my weapons have a name that I have found befitting of their intended purpose, or the way they feel when I handle them.

I feel it instills a level of realism to the weapon, further begetting respect, that just calling them "bo" or "katana" does.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Katana is called "Dragonfly" because that is the design of the tsuba, my Iaito is "Monkey" for the same reason. My hand-and-a-half sword is called "Arsebane", it got its name when I used to spar against a regular partner who always left his right unguarded so I could slip around and give him a good whack across the buttocks. "Prepare to meet Arsebane again" became the prelude to every duel.

I don't name anything else apart from a very heavy wooden nunchaku called "Mr Smashy" because I have broken many things around the house while twirling it without due care and attention.