• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improved grappling skills=Rusty standup and Aiki skills

Over the past 3 months I have become almost solely a grappler, not necessarily by choice but this is the training that is available to me at this time. While my love for BJJ as increased, i find that my boxing and weapon defense skills have gotten kind of sloppy. This is the constant battle of being proficient at all ranges of combat.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nothing wrong with that. Have you got access to a heavy bag, wooden man etc.

Work on your stand-up game using these or get a training partner who can work with you to once a week to keep both of your stand-up game in the mix

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

We focused in our dojo on just the ground grappling for about 2 months in prep for a BJJ tourney. Our stand up got flat out rusty, but we've swung it the other way to stand up only. The rust is coming off pretty quickly. It happens when you have a broad range of skills that if you focus on one aspect, others will degrade slightly, but they will sharpen right back up.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think the hardest thing to keep up with would be timing, but that's just a guess. You can practice striking alone well enough, but a partner really helps with rhythm and timing.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it would be that way for me, because I have so little experience with it as it is. I think it has to do mainly with comfort zones and past reps in that help retain most information. Since I've been punching and kicking for so long, knocking the rust off will be no big deal.

I can't wait to see how rusty I'll be when I start Combat Hapkido back up.

I know it would be that way for me, because I have so little experience with it as it is. I think it has to do mainly with comfort zones and past reps in that help retain most information. Since I've been punching and kicking for so long, knocking the rust off will be no big deal.

I can't wait to see how rusty I'll be when I start Combat Hapkido back up.

Brian, you'll do just fine, however, you'll have many reminded "AHA" moments as you eliminate the rust.

Clay...you'll be fine my friend...you'll be fine. I'd advise that you insure that your training partner will allow you to do resistive type training because there's nothing like having someone fight back during drills and the like.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Clay...you'll be fine my friend...you'll be fine. I'd advise that you insure that your training partner will allow you to do resistive type training because there's nothing like having someone fight back during drills and the like.

:)

Are there any other kinds of drills?

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Seems like to me the rust comes of the stand up aspect of the game comes off quicker than if you are trying to get the rust of the ground game.

I agree with this completely. I spent today wonder why that's the case and still haven't come up with a good solution, but I think it's true.

I did some stand up Monday night for the first time in...well, a long time, and really it wasn't bad. Yeah, I've been sharper, the timing has been better, but I wasn't a fish out of water. Combos and technique was there. I enjoyed it enough to consider doing it more. But we'll see.

That said, had I taken a equal amount of time off of grappling I know my ground game would suffer horribly. Go figure.

GS, these things are cyclical. Especially for someone doing multiple things (as was stated above). Don't stress a few months lay off. Consider that it's a pretty good set of training partners beating you up and that any bad guy you run into probably doesn't have their level of dedication to trying to hurt you. Or the tactics to enforce their will.

Maybe hit a round or two of pads or bag or sparring every now and then while you're focus is elsewhere. Just to keep everything wired properly.

Seems like to me the rust comes of the stand up aspect of the game comes off quicker than if you are trying to get the rust of the ground game.

I agree with this completely. I spent today wonder why that's the case and still haven't come up with a good solution, but I think it's true.

I did some stand up Monday night for the first time in...well, a long time, and really it wasn't bad. Yeah, I've been sharper, the timing has been better, but I wasn't a fish out of water. Combos and technique was there. I enjoyed it enough to consider doing it more. But we'll see.

I'm willing to bet on the much higher degree of muscle memory built up for the stand up game for both of you. PittbullJudoka has always been a grappler at heart, his brain works that way and I've known that for a long time. But, he's got a ton more hours on his feet than on the mats. It's more deeply ingrained and takes less polish to bring those skills back up than the ground work.

I can feel what tiny bit of ground work I've got fading from where it was two months back. One of our adults makes it back to class while I'm half healthy he is destined for a gi top and a few rounds on the mats before class starts. However, my timing, footwork(as it is! :roll: ) and ability to read distance are coming back nicely right now.

When you practice a board discipline it is hard to keep all the tools in the box sharp. There are just so many hours in the day and some much you can do to keep things maintained. It becomes a matter of priority and working out a way to rotate through things. It's a chore to just figure out the balance.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine