• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan and Kyokushin

Cobra Kai

Hi, I'm new here and wish to talk about karate.

So here's the thing, I have a 1st kyu in shotokan, and I really want to take a few classes of kyokushin. I've seen videos and all and the technique looks awesome. But there are several problems: I know my sensei will be disappointed if I started kyokushin (I'm not planning leaving my current dojo).

The kyokushin dojo is quite far, and I think there are no senseis running it (only sempais).

What are your thoughts? Is it appropriate to mix two styles?

PS: More about myself; I'm 20 and I've practiced karate since I was a kid, started with okinawan, then shito, and then shotokan.

Cheers ;)

"Before a warrior can become a true king, he has to face a dragon"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you desire to train in Kyokushin I think you should. If you're not planning on leaving your current dojo maybe just attend the Kyokushin training once a week initially to see how you handle the traveling and if you like the training.

Regarding only being taught by senapi - In some Kyokushin organizations you can be up to sandan (3rd degree black belt) and still be considered a senpai. I was taught by a shodan for years, who actually received his shodan when I was in diapers. He just never had an opportunity to join another organization until shortly after I began training with him and finally achieved his nidan.

Backing up Kuma's statements - yes, most are only sempai until reaching 3rd dan, at which point you become a sensei.

Yes - there are a lot of differences (I found this out first hand when i tried to do Shotokan kata), but it should not be too difficult.

And hey - getting a bit of experience "outside the box" so to speak is never a bad thing!

Ive trained Fillipino MA (Presas Modern Arnis) fo years now in conjunction with my kyokushin training, and they have done nothing but compliment one another!

I say go for it!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Looks like you're in my shoes too! A while ago I was also thinking to switch to Kyokushin in order to get more sparring experience but I'm only 6th Kyu while you are at the level where things start getting interesting meaning ofc Jiyu Kumite (free sparring).

I stayed in Shotokan cuz my dojo is very close to my place while all the kyokushin dojos are very far away. Distance is a major factor with my work schedule.

Also I have dedicated 1+ year in it (including seminars etc) I don't feel like quitting since I love my school and the people there even though I would like to see more from my training. In Shotokan, patience is a virtue for sure but to hell with that I'm getting a heavy bag this Xmas or I'll go nuts!

I've been doing Shotokan for 20+/- years and I loved the experience I had x-training in Kyokushin. I've brought back some conditioning and movement drills to my Shotokan classes. Given the choice I still prefer Shotokan - but that is just a personal preference. I look at this way: Shotokan is the freight train of karate - I'm going straight through you and you won't stop me, while Kyokushin is the tsunami - it'll overwhelm you. For my simple mind and limited abilities Shotokan seems to work.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Totally agree with the above, only issue I got is the Kata. There's various differences in the Pinan/Heian kata and Kyokushin also includes Goju Kata. Try it and enjoy, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thank you all for your replies! I'll give it a try then, and give you some feedback later. Oh and thank you about the sempai info Kuma, I've got it clear now, actually they claim to have over 20 years of experience so that's good.

"Before a warrior can become a true king, he has to face a dragon"

"He who chases around after many rabbits ends hungry."(Okinawan Proverb)

My advice is: look around and choose what you want. Then focus on one art until you get very good at it.

OSU!

My thoughts are, of course, biased, but I also say go for it, and please let us know how you like it!

Mas Oyama trained under Funakoshi, who founded Shotokan. You'll find some things in common! Expand your knowledge- if you are a first kyu, you're probably at a level where it's fine to start cross training.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.