• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I guess I'm competing and Judging on November 25th!

darksoul

It's going to be point with corner refs. Not my personal favourite (I think continuous shows more knowledge of fighting than point, but I didn't make the rules :P) but it should be fun.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Same. Point, block, or no see.

In the KQ (Karaté Québec) we award points for trunk (all upper body minus the spine) and head (all of it.) Sweeps are allowed but do not count as points.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Welcome to the next level of competition... Be fare and honest. One thing that makes a good judge / referee is the fact that after the competition you can tell a competitor why you gave them the mark they received. If they are asking respectfully that usually means they are looking for ways to improve upon their performance. Since you maybe seeing kata that you are not used to it can be hard to compare. I try to focus on the general flow and cleanliness of the kata plus one technical item: blocks, kick, punch, trunk/head position, etc. You can't see everything.

Good luck and have fun.

Great advice, and if I was to add anything it would be this...be consistent across the board. Good luck and have a lot of fun. Please let us know how it went.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I will definitely give you guys an update after the tourney. Only 2 more days!

I might compete, I might not... Definitely judging though :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Judging can be such a blast, but being the Arbitrator for the first time, that can be quite an eye opener from the administrative side of a MA tourney; open or closed tourney...day and night!! Being an Arbitrator for the first time made me think that I needed to clone myself because I had to be at 3-5 places at the same time, I was exhausted at the end of the tourney.

Judging can be such a blast, but being the Arbitrator for the first time, that can be quite an eye opener from the administrative side of a MA tourney; open or closed tourney...day and night!! Being an Arbitrator for the first time made me think that I needed to clone myself because I had to be at 3-5 places at the same time, I was exhausted at the end of the tourney.

Judging was AMAZING. Absolutely loved it. Judging the sparring matches was my favourite. Our dojo did good too. We only had 3 competitors and we brought home 2 1st place, 1 2nd place, and 1 4th place. Our green belt, Lorianne won 1st in both Kata and sparring. Super proud of her. Her father won 2nd in kata and 4th in sparring, and our little orange belt got herself a participation medal :)

I can just imagine how crazy arbitration can be and I know I don't want that job, lol!

I can't wait for the next one!

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Judging was AMAZING. Absolutely loved it. Judging the sparring matches was my favourite. Our dojo did good too. We only had 3 competitors and we brought home 2 1st place, 1 2nd place, and 1 4th place. Our green belt, Lorianne won 1st in both Kata and sparring. Super proud of her. Her father won 2nd in kata and 4th in sparring, and our little orange belt got herself a participation medal :)

I can just imagine how crazy arbitration can be and I know I don't want that job, lol!

I can't wait for the next one!

Congrats to your dojo; looks like your dojo was very productive...CONGRATS!!

Glad you enjoyed the judging part, and as Brian's already pointed it out...you'll be a career judge in no time.

:D