• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chicago S7 Tournament

This weekend I got to go try out the Chicago S7, the new tournament production from Herb Dean and company of UFC fame. It's a new set of rules, or at least modified, and is in its inception year.

A couple of things. First up, its new and has some kinks to work out and wasn't as heavily attended as a comparable NAGA event. However, I liked the heavy focus on submission effort over playing points and any promotion that isn't a NAGA is a bonus in my book. As for the venue, they went all out for the Sears Center here in the Chicago-land area. Worlds better than any NAGA or IBJJF has done in the past.

If you get the chance, give one of them a go. I'd like to see them make a go of it.

The club I'm out of had a real good showing, and I had a good day as well walking away with a gold in my division and the absolute. Big thanks to my club an and coach who also had my corner.

Here's my matches from the weekend:

http://youtu.be/UaUeWymSrMQ

Good run this time thru. Very happy with the results, now it's time to get back to work.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good stuff, Alex. Thanks for posting this up. It sounded like you got to get some good coaching from the side of the mat, which I think is great for learning in competitions.

I loved your coache's line, "That's real life Jiu Jutsu right there!" Good stuff! :)