• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving a rank to your self

I've seen different kinds of ways to get a belt and I'm "ok" with different approaches as long as person getting the rank feels like earning it.

BUT I'm not suggesting giving belts to your self - more like something intermediate. (This might not be suitable if your graduation speed is 3 - 6 months). If your graduation speed is in years, I'd could be a good idea to do smaller steps.

I've designed a "stripe - system" for myself. I make a plan and if I can keep the plan, I'll award me a stripe. (OK - it's for my personal training belt, but it could be for anything - as long as your system does not have stripes in official ranks.)

Any comments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you think about it, most style around 4th Dan/Degree awad levels on a time served basis so I think at that level there is no difference.

Only issue is who is there to advise and correct "bad habits" that have occured during your training

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Giving stripes - ranks to my self, does not mean that I don't use instructors in my training.

In my case I at the moment I do karate, bjj and some physical training like, gym, aerobic and home workouts. So instructors correct in classes, but my "program" would include all of my training - kind of xo like "crossover".

I might be awarded ranks in BJJ or Karate, but stripes is my own personal thing. (In our bjj there is no stripes.)

So it's more like doing a plan and completing the work and then awarding your self a stripe - not by time, but by doing what you planned.

(What you plan is up to you. More you demand from your self, more awarding is the "stripe" - I guess?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you personally awarding yourself stripes for goals met?
That's what it sounds like to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though. xo-karate.

If this is the case, I don't see anything wrong with it. Success comes from having a plan, and having a plan is having a goal. In order to reach the goal, its imperative to have objectives that are met along the way to the goal. If giving yourself stripes is the way you recognize meeting the objectives on the way to your goal, then I see nothing wrong with this at all.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you personally awarding yourself stripes for goals met?

Yes - you are correct.

(And we do not have stripes in our belts - so it's not official. And I'm doing it to my xo-belt - not karate or bjj belt.)

xo is my crossover training belt... kind of all over training result that includes all training.