• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Watching your kids compete

blacknebula

My daughter competed in her first tournament today. She did very well, winning first place in kata and third in kumite for 8-9 year old orange belts. :D However, I was completely taken aback by how stressful I found the experience! I think in some ways it would be easier to watch if I didn't know anything about karate. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats to her :)

Heh my mum never used to watch me. As soon as I was called up for sparring she'd go out and sit in the car instead till it was over.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Congrats to her :)

Heh my mum never used to watch me. As soon as I was called up for sparring she'd go out and sit in the car instead till it was over.

Seen plenty of parents do similar over the years.

Congrats to your daughter blacknebula. Ive been watching my 3 kids compete all the way from local to international level for over 10 years. The good news is it does get easier. The bad news is it took me until this year to finally get control of my nerves.

I love watching my kids compete in sport. I'm always talking and hollering, and get some goofy looks from my wife from time to time. Its a great thing, I think.

I can't believe some parents don't watch their kids! Of the nine kids that competed from our dojo, six of them have one (or both) parents who train too so we were all there offering more advice than they probably wanted to hear. :lol:

I think it seems to be mothers who don't like to watch their children fight. It's more about fear of injury than anything else. Most who r involved in martial arts know enough to know that it is safer than many other sports.

Definitely the case for mine. Even though she knows we can handle ourselves, my mum never watches me or my sister spar. Part of it as well is she doesn't like blood and half the time my younger sister ends up with a bloody nose :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 months later...